Ancient Greek and Roman experts

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bqcoins, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Howdy guys, after buying a Gordian III antoninianus last year, and then buying a group of AE3-4 coins this year I have an odd hankering to get into some Roman or Greek coins. My question is this, where are the best places, or sites to buy some ancients for a relatively modest amount? I don't want to go overboard to start with but I would like to dabble and see if it is just a passing phase or something I would like to persue. I have already purchased the handbook of ancient greek and roman coins, to have a starting point and bookmarked wildwinds, dougsmith, and a few others to get started. I just need to know where the best place to find the coins. Please say its not ebay, because I've looked there and just don't know where to start, and honestly I'm not all that sure about buying coin lots from budapest or slovendia or etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

for buying:

vcoins.com
    bargainbinancients.com
    forumancientcoins.com

the last link, they have a great forum where you can learn too! Try getting some books by Wayne Sayles if possible.

stainless

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Stainless gave the correct answer if you live far from 'civilization'. If, by chance, you are near a major metropolitan area, I'd suggest attending a large coin show that includes ancient coin dealers. For example, this weekend is a huge one in Baltimore, MD, USA, where you can see, handle and buy coins from real people who can answer questions and suggest things you might like. I'm going Saturday and it is a 3 hour one way trip so that might give you an idea on how strongly I support the idea of coin shows. Not knowing where you are located only allows me to suggest using search engines for coin shows in towns near you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying online and, for that matter, even from eBay as long as you stick to sellers that are honest and knowledgeable. Stainless mentions Forvm which often sells on eBay as do many VCoins dealers. The problem with eBay is that anyone can set up shop there and sell anything. Occasionally they will kick out someone for selling fakes or robbing people otherwise but it is no big deal for someone to return using a new name. If you buy from people you know, it is a good source. The same goes for shows and there will be an occasional crook set up there as well. It is just harder to come back after you've been kicked out so bad apples are much more rare.

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I have to agree with both Stainless and Dougsmit. I am planning to go next week to the Paris coinshow 300 miles away from where I live, just because it's a unique opportunity to see coins and sellers "in person"...

...but I mainly buy from Vcoins and others (not fleebay, it's too weird)

Q

6. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I agree, shows are the best way, however not everyone can travel to these major shows, and from my experience only the big shows are worth going to with ancients, and that means only two per year around here. So that is the reason I gave my answer.

Besides, at least for me, I've learned far more from people online (mentors, reading threads, looking at coins, ET.) than I have at a show. Not to say I haven't learned anything at the show, I';m just saying it will take much longer.

Another thing would be coin clubs..I've not gone to one yet because I don't want to travel that far.

stainless

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah, I've nver been to a coin show. To tough for me to get to one, same with clubs.

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Well, I bought a lot off of ebay, from a respected seller in the US with good feedback. Just a lot of 10 uncleaned to get started and see what I can see. I'll try some things and see what I can discover, hopefully my book will be here tomorrow or monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted