Ancient Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by susanlynn9, Dec 10, 2004.

1. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

For anyone who's interested, I just got the Guide To Biblical Coins Fourth Edition by David Hendin. I'm sure that the Ancient Coin aficionados own this book. But if anyone reads this who is just starting to get into Ancients, buy this book. It's a fascinating read as well as a great help in identification. I originally purchased it to ID some widows mites but got caught up in a lot of the other areas. :D

BTW, my own ancient coins are still stewing in their olive oil. I can see some details on some of them. I think I'm going to try to heat the oil a little sometime between Christmas and New Year and see if it helps speed the process along.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I have the 3rd Edition. Yes, it is compelling. I have heard David Hendin speak at ANA conventions. Jewish numismatics was misunderstood until Ya'akov Meshorer re-examined the primary data, the coins, their histories. I think that it even resulted in a better understanding of the Second Revolt. Also, I think that that time frame accounts for many new types in the 4th vs the 3rd editions: more new types have been discovered.

For Christians, the "widow's mite" and the "Tribute penny" are coins with direct reference. As with anything, reading the book before buying the coin helps a lot.
    See: http://www.coin-newbies.com/articles/caesars.html

There is also the reference to the parable of the workers at the vineyard being paid a denarius a day. Many types of Roman denarii would fit that description. The same holds true for the story of finding a stater in a fish's mouth.

It is possible to follow Paul and Luke in their travels and build a set that includes Corinth, Ephesus, Philippi, Rome, etc. A similar collecting theme is "The Seven Churches of Asia."

4. acv

acv New Member

5. pawjtr

pawjtr New Member

Cleaning

6. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

First of all, let me say that I am far from proficient in anything that has to do with ancients. This is a first for me. I have received loads of advice from the knowledgeable people on this forum, Forvm Ancient Coins, and reading.

In response to your question, the olive oil softens the crust on the coins and allows for easier removal of the stubborn grime. My coins have been soaking now for about 3 months. I have taken a couple of them out and worked on the crust with a toothbrush and dish soap and have put them back into the oil to soak some more. I am starting to see some details. I read about heating the oil on the Forvm Ancient Coins board about a week and a half ago and have decided to try it. The idea is that the heat speeds the process up a little by letting the oil soak deeper into the coins. As I understand it, the oil should still be touchable - I'm not planning on frying my coins or anything :D

So far, that is the extent of my knowledge on this subject. Still have lots of reading and research to do! :)

7. pawjtr

pawjtr New Member

First of all, thank you for answering my question. So the oil dosen't clean the coins, it just loosens the dirt and grime and the coin in cleaned by something else. Now my next question, does olive oil help with all types of coins or are the certain metals that will react adversly with the oil?

8. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

As I understand it, olive oil is safe for all metals which is why it is strongly recommended for cleaning the ancients. I would not recommend using it on US coins, however, as any additional brushing, wiping, or rubbing will detract from the value. There is a different set of rules for ancients because cleaning is a necessary thing with those.

9. kaparthy

I have no idea. I have used one of Meshorer's books (translated in to English), but I am not a student of his work, and certainly not a student of Judaism.

10. pawjtr

pawjtr New Member

thank you susanlynn, that makes sense. now my last question is which brand of oil do you use or does it matter in your opinion?

11. kaparthy

Almost any oil will work, WD-40, for instance. However -- and this is a big however -- it will leave a detectable smell on your coins. Also, you do not know what it might do that you do not want it to do to an ancient coin.

Olive oil, being a vegetable oil, very natural and all, is very gentle. That is why it takes so long to work. There are never any fears about damaging the coin. It washes away clean.

Myself, I always thought there was something appropriate in using olive oil on Greek and Roman coins.

12. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Any brand should be fine. You know, I never even thought of that when I grabbed the bottle out of the cabinet. I don't even know what brand mine are soaking in :D

13. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I agree, Michael. It just seemed so....right.

14. pawjtr

pawjtr New Member

Wonderful info

Great info, thanks

15. rick

rick Coin Collector

that certainly was a big however...

Draft saved Draft deleted