Ancient coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Reid Goldsborough, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Reid Goldsborough

Reid Goldsborough New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Reid Goldsborough

Doug Smith's Ancient Greek & Roman Coins site, highly recommended, changed addresses. Current URL is:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dougsmit

4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Greeks and Romans and Celts (and Jews)! Oh my!!

One problem with ancients is all the HOAXES out there. Let me explain.

The way I understand ancient coins is as artifacts of ANCIENT HISTORY. You have to know your cultures and peoples and persons for the coins to make any sense. Most people who are attracted to ancients understand and appreciate the ROMAN EMPIRE. Then, without really knowing the history of Rome, they fall for some 3rd century "silver" fouree that costs $5 and is not worth 5 cents.

If you know the history of Rome, you stand a better chance of buying something that really speaks to your heart. (And I know an engineer who really truly does relate to the ultimate goal of a process and he does really like coins of the fall of the western Romans.) For me, when I collected, my interest was REPUBLICAN ROME and then also THE FIVE GOOD EMPERORS (also known as the Pax Romana, the height of the empire). As a libertarian, I was happy to own a coin of Marcus Porcius Cato, the last of the republicans. So, you have to know your history.

The BEST series of books for Roman and Greek history, literature, and culture, is the LOEB CLASSICS LIBRARY. These little Red (Roman) and Green (Greek) books cost about $20 per volume. They have Latin or Greek on the left and English on the right. I have a few Romans (Cicero, Livy) and more Greeks (Aristotle, Hesiod, Diogenes,...) because I have had more of an interest in the Greeks.

Of all the books in English about the ancient world FROM the ancient world, the one book anyone serious about ancient coins needs is PLUTARCH'S LIVES. The standard editions have not been updated in 100 years and are based on Dryden's translation. Plutarch compared and contrasted famous Romans with famous Greeks (Alexander and Julius Caesar, for instance). His biographies are the foundation.

After that, the histories -- Thucydides and Herodotus for the Greeks; Suetonius for the Romans -- are easy to find in translation.

Everyone is crazy for Celtic stuff these days. Enya is Top 40. Celtic coins are out there. Celtic histories are not.

Jewish coins are well supported by Jewish histories, of course, from the first "Yehud" coins of the Persians to the last of the Bar Kochbar revolt pieces.

However, Christians need to be mindful that they are often seen as sheep to be shorn by coin dealers (of every religion and none) who sell "Tribute Pennies" for the prices they bring, despite the huge body of literature to the contrary. "Widows Mites" and "30 Shekels" and the "Stater from the Fish" are all doable as, of course, is the denarius of the grape fields. One interesting and affordable collection goal for a Christian is to follow Paul and get one bronze coin from each town. One subset of that quest would be the 12 Churches of Asia. Another would be to get one coin from each of the congregations of the Epistles.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. Reid Goldsborough

Michael's point about books is a good one. Reading books enriches your appreciation of the coins, and this is possible far more with ancient coins than American coins. But I'd add coin books to Michael's list of history books. If you only read the history books and not the coin books, you can wind up with a skewed image. I mentioned Wayne Sayles' books, which are a very good introduction. But the single best introductory book on Greek coins (my area) that I've come across, which I didn't mention, is Collecting Greek Coins by John Anthony (London, Longman, 1983). Very well organized and written and very engaging.

6. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

i've always been afraid to start collecting ancients because there is so much you need to know. I bought a widows mite once because i thought it was cool had no clue what it was but..

7. JimD

JimD New Member

I have been intrigued by ancient coins, but to be frank, I find them very intimidating. I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start.

8. coinman

coinman New Member

I am not a collector ruther a dealer. Since selling ancients in Greece is illegal, I can only stare at them mostly in museums localy and internet sites. I like many of them but I could hardly afford a couple of those I like... That is too sad ofcourse as I am Greek and can't practicly and without complex burocracy involved own a Greek owl tetradrachm but hey, that's life! Good government though took care of my last phrase as greek owls circulate around europe freely in form of 1 euro coins!!!

9. kaparthy

The Road from Tarsus

Well, it is a start, and the coins are described well in the standard reference GUIDE TO BIBLICAL COINS by David Hendon. The "widow's mite" is in the same series, really, as the later copper prutah coins (also called "lepton" in Greek) of the days of the ministry of Jesus. You can find them with the symbols and names of Tiberius and Pontius Pilate.

10. kaparthy

Do Re Mi

You can start at any coin show or coin store. Look at the coins and buy the one(s) you can afford that you like. If you don't see one, wait until another opportunity comes along, which it will.

Go to coin shows.

Click on the Celator website www.celator.com and get a sample issue for $3. Go to the library and read the books about life in ancient times. You cna find them in used book stores for a few dollars. I got a National Geographic book about life in ancient greece and rome with good authorative writing and terrific color pictures for $6.

Once you know more, you know what to look for. If you go to a reputable dealer (ANA member, for instance) you will do better for your money.

Take the time to look at the coin, to feel it. to play with it. You cannot hurt it by touching it. Heck, it spent 2000 years in the ground. Get to know them one at a time and you will learn quickly what you are really interested and what you really want to buy.

You might ask yourself, what your interest in ancient history really is. As I said, myself, for me, it is ancient philosophy and science. For Roman history, it is the checks and balances of the republican form of goverment. But again, we are in a period of Celtic revival, and if that floats your boat, the coins are out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted