Ancient coin - can anyone identify my coin and tell me what its worth?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by serena0403, Mar 4, 2010.

1. serena0403

serena0403 Junior Member

Hi, I have this ancient coin and have been told to post a thread here. Could anyone please identify my coin and tell me what its worth roughly? I've uploaded a couple of pictures of both sides for your perusal. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

This exact coin popped up either here or on coinpeople not long ago...not this coin type but this same coin with the same small grainy photo. There is little doubt it is a cast, the blur attempts to hide a bumpy cast surface. I will search around to try and find the thread.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This appears to be a modern fake based on the reverse types used by Philip II of Macedon (father of Alexander the Great) in honor of his winning the Olympic horse race. The style almost looks like it was copied from a Celtic copy of the original coin rather than from the original. The horse was used on the reverse of a portrait of a god (Zeus on silver, Apollo on bronze) but should not have a horse on both sides even on a Celtic copy. The fabric appears to be of modern manufacture - probably 20th century; possibly as sold to tourists in that region. Its value would be as a token and minimal.

5. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Draft saved Draft deleted