ANACS v. ICG for Ancient coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bart9349, May 27, 2006.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Although I prefer NGC for modern gold coins, they grade only a select few ancient coins from dealers with special arrangements with the company.

The two most respected graders of ancients are ANACS and ICG.

My question is which company is more stringent, consistent, and accurate in grading ancients? What are the reputations of these two companies in regards to ancient coins?

Thank you in advance,

guy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

I think ICG is the one I see most used.

Personally I don't like slabs, especially for ancients. The companies grading systems are for modern coins & don't really apply correctly to ancients. Also most if not all TPG's do not guarantee authenticity or grade for ancients.

You might find more info on slabs for ancients on forumancientcoins.com or ancients.info than you'll find here on CT.

Best of luck

4. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Not sure about this. I've neverheard that the guarantee does not apply to ancient coins.

ICG is used most often because they will pretty much slab any coin they can identify. ANACS only accepts certain coins - mainly Roman. NGC only accepts bulk submissions of certain coins.

ICG's grading on ancient coins is very tough. Do not expect any high grades on ancients if you submit them to ICG.

Draft saved Draft deleted