Amercan buffalo proof boxes.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Feb 27, 2009.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i am in love with american buffalo proof boxes. that is the best box that the mint produced so far. and the prosperity set box is also very attractive. i got 12 proof 1/2 oz boxes and 4 unc 1/2 oz buffalo boxes. but i did not get any prosperity box due to i cancel the two orders of four sets. currently these buffalo boxes were selling at e-bay quite high. do you have it?. should the mint continue to produce such nice boxes?. do you buy it at e-bay?. tell us.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pjstack

pjstack Member

I have the one ounce uncirculated Buffalo "Prosperity" issue (in the neat little red box). It came with a protedtive film over it (not the plastic capsule I'm used to) and I have not removed it.

One question: where is the mint mark, or does it have one? The mint paperwork that came with it says that it was minted at West Point, but for the life of me I can't find a "W" anywhere.

4. pjstack

pjstack Member

Ooops! Correction: It's not a "prosperity", it's called "American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin". The little pamphlet says the mint is West Point, but there is no mint mark (that I can find).

5. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

I dont believe so. I am a coin collector, not a box collector. If the mint want to sell these boxes seperately, I have no problem with that.

To buy the coin, you shouldnt have to buy the box.

6. elaine 1970

if the box is not important. why should the mint include the box?. so with the certificate and so forth. because many people consider it as important and they love it.

7. elaine 1970

the lunar celebration one ounce am eagle gold is not with the w mint mark. this coin came from the bullion one ounce gold. it is a bullion coin.

8. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

Then those people could buy the box.

Alot of people, slab the coin and have no use for the box.

Then the box get tossed or put on ebay.

9. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

The gold buffalo celebration coin does not have a W mintmark as it is a bullion gold buffalo like the ones released to coin dealers.

The much rarer gold buffalo ounce with the W mintmark only came in the 2008 4 coin sets and one ounce single boxes purchased directly from the mint.

10. pjstack

pjstack Member

Thanks, CentDime. I'm still keeping it in the rather strange "wrapper" it came it. It looks like it is heat sealed between two sheets of textured square plastic. It looks sort of ugly but I guess it protects the coin.

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i will let GD answer this one :p

12. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I bought one from another CT member. A 1/10 oz uncirc buffalo. :)

13. elaine 1970

after so many years of collecting. do you know how many boxes and c.o.a. do you have?. my oh my. several thousands. take a lot of space. but i do care for those coins and its accessories. that is me. my hobby and my collections.

14. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

We have CT members giving away 1/10 oz unc Buffalo gold coins!?!?!? Where are they hiding? ;):p

15. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Up until last year, I had nearly every single modern commemorative item ever produced by the mint in the OGP with COA. I sold many of my items which I considered duplicates of coins I had in other mint packaging. In addition to those, I have many, many other mint items in OGP. Yes, it is alot of stuff and takes up much space, but to me.... call me crazy..... but it is not complete unless you have the OGP to go along with the coins.

16. elaine 1970

at least we got people like us "crazy" jaceravone. hopefully we will get compensation at the end.

17. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

You are missing the point. The OGP should not include a box just the coin.

The mint could sell the box as an add-on.

18. elaine 1970

well, in the future the mint might be smart enough to sell boxes separately from the coin. it is a big business additionally.

19. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

LOL! Here's to wishful thinking! :thumb:

20. elaine 1970

when we are selling. at least our coins will be more appreciated by others.

21. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Elaine, please let me know what you think about the UHR when you see one in hand. I 'bout fell outta my chair when I opened up and saw that wooden box with about 20 coats of Lacquer on it, and the gold script. I would think that these would sell for around $100, but nobody is going to want to sell it once they see it in hand. No picture I've seen comes close to doing it justice.

Draft saved Draft deleted