Acetone???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 4largecents, Dec 31, 2008.

1. 4largecents

4largecents Goldpan Man

I have heard some say that you can use acetone on coins and it wont hurt them, is this true?:confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Acetone is pretty safe for removing tape residue and gunk , but will not remove toning , it's always safer to start with the weakest cleaner and work up , start with a soak in distilled water . Be sure to use it in a well ventilated room . It also matters what you are trying to clean , also never use nail polish remover as it has many impurities that can harm a coin in the future .
    rzage

4. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

True. Acetone is a hydrocarbon, used as a thinner for paints and as a solvent. It is non-reactive with metals.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Make sure that you rinse the acetone with distilled water......stop any chemical reactions.

6. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

Acetone won't hurt your Silver coins, I can't speak for copper/brass.

I use it on most any Silver coin I get my mitts on, removes PVC residue quite well.

7. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

does anyone know if it will harm copper?

8. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

I've experimented with pocket change and apparently no harm done so far, but I wouldn't risk it with anything of value. Surely one of the copper guys will know.

9. SCNuss

SCNuss Senior Member

10. 4largecents

4largecents Goldpan Man

Thanks

I would like to thank everyone for their input on my question about acetone. CT sure puts the coin neighborhood on ebay to shame!!!:thumb:

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yes - eduard has used it on at least an 1808 Large Cent. He said it helped his 1808 - but I do not know what the before and after looked like.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Something to keep in mind about acetone. It will remove most anything organic. Once that's removed the surface of the coin may look much worse than it did before. More hairlines may show and the color of the surface can be different where the organic matter once was. It's always a gamble to mess with a coin.

13. 4largecents

4largecents Goldpan Man

ldhair, good point, I will keep that in mind.:)

14. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I know for sure if you plan on putting a Barack Obama sticker on it and selling it on a televised shopping network, acetone is a good way to prep coins. All jokes aside, acetone is safe as long as you rinse them with water afterwards and then gently pat dry.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't understand the use of water after acetone. More about this please.

16. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

If you don't rinse afterwards there could be some acetone left on the coin, which won't react with it BUT will react with anything else it touches. Especially if you want to, say, put it in a plastic flip. The acetone will eat it.

If what you want to remove is organic (not tape residue or the like) you can also use xylol. It's even more caustic than acetone and is actually quite poisonous, but it will remove a lot of stuff. I've used both acetone and xylol on silver and copper to no ill effect. Xylol can be purchased at a hardware store, look in with the paint thinners.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What you want to bet that that chart is not talking about coins, but stuff like copper pipes or fittings where it doesn't matter if the copper changes color ?

There have been literally hundreds, if not thousands, of reports posted on the various coin forums over the years of collectors using acetone on their copper coins - only to have the coin turn all sorts of weird colors.

I would not recommend using acetone on copper unless it is to save the coin from potentially worse damage if it is left alone.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One aspect is that even though the acetone itself evaporates into the air, the stuff that the acetone dissolved will not if any trace residue remains on the coin. The purpose of the water is to remove any trace residue of dissolved materials while they are still soft and capable of being removed.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Very true,but there is evidence that distilled water can pick up Carbon Dioxide from air and become a weak acidic solution unless it is freshly distilled or stored in glass. I prefer to hold the coin vertical and rinse with fresh acetone out of the container which will have no contaminants and will flash off entirely than trust distilled water to remove any residue which may or may not be soluble in water. Just my opinion.:D

Jim

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Here is an article that was posted earlier in a discussion of acetone. I did not and still do not think that it is relevant for the method and purpose most use acetone, but is something that should be considered.
    http://www.sunysb.edu/vescalab/research/research7.html

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

True. That's what I was wanting someone to bring up. Residue is the problem but a multi step bath with fresh acetone takes care of this. I can't see the acetone reacting with anything past that point.

The water seem to bring on a possibility of leaving other stuff on the surface of the coin and that makes folks think they need to pat dry the coin. I won't do that either. But it's a great way to mess up a proof.
    I'll admit, I do use water but acetone is most always the final bath.

Draft saved Draft deleted