ACCGS: Good or Bad coin grading service

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RareCoins, Aug 17, 2005.

1. RareCoins

RareCoins New Member

Hi everyone, I am new to the site, but not to coin collecting. I have several rare coins which includes both key date Morgan dollars (89-CC and 93-S) but in lower grades. I mostly like to collect currency and often find some nice stuff in circulation.

However, I have come to ask a question about a coin grading service since I know of site that seems to have a bunch of nice coins and boasts "conservative grading"( they even attack other dealers for way overgrading, which I find many times to be true) on their site and their coins are graded by ACCGS. Now I have heard about them and that they grade both sides, but know little about their grading standards. I was about to buy a coin from this site but backed down when I heard the company. The site said that they sent coins to grading service, but not PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. I asked if they sent coins to ICG, but they told me it was already graded by ACCGS. So compared to the top grading services (PCGS, NGC, ANACS and maybe ICG) is ACCGS up there with them when it comes to grading or are they another lower tier grading service like NNC and SGS? Or are they more of a SEGS which tends to overgrade, but not too drastically? Has anyone here ever crossed an ACCGS to one of the top grading services? If so how did that go? Thank You for your Help!! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I have never heard of ACCGS and by this time I would have heard something if they were good IMO...

It is a good idea when starting out to stay with PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, and at sometimes PCI...

Speedy

4. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

You might be confusing this service with ASA Accugrade out of Longwood, FL. Their claim to fame is that they started this whole "slabbing market" and they have licensed their "idea" to PCGS-PSA and a dozen firms.

Now...and I have to be careful here as ASA has been known to sue everybody and everything...it is my opinion they are not one of services I would trust nor use for my coins.

Stick to PCGS, NGC, ICG and ANACS as these four are the most respected names in the coin grading industry.

PCI and SEGS are a level below these four and frankly for the rest, I wouldn't even touch them.

SGS for your information is owned and operated by the major eBay powerseller "Aboncom" that sells 99% of these coins. In other words, they slab and sell their own coins, many times in MS70 and PR70 (perfect) grades. It looks and sounds good until you try to sell them to somebody that knows a little about coins and grading.

Update....

I am sorry...there is such a coin grading service:

http://www.accgs.org/index.html

I never have used them nor have I seen any of their coins...so I will reserve judgment until I see how they grade and perform their service. From what I read, a bunch of collectors out in Beverly Hills got together in the summer of 2003 and formed a grading service to compete against the others.

5. RareCoins

RareCoins New Member

"You might be confusing this service with ASA Accugrade out of Longwood, FL. Their claim to fame is that they started this whole "slabbing market" and they have licensed their "idea" to PCGS-PSA and a dozen firms."-Midas

I'm sure its Accgs, the site is part of the Beverly Hills Coin Club / American Coin Club and has the Accgs.org link in some of their pages

6. RareCoins

RareCoins New Member

Nnc, Sgs

"SGS for your information is owned and operated by the major eBay powerseller "Aboncom" that sells 99% of these coins. In other words, they slab and sell their own coins, many times in MS70 and PR70 (perfect) grades. It looks and sounds good until you try to sell them to somebody that knows a little about coins and grading."-Midas

I also have a feeling that NNC is that same way with a certain user(s) on Ebay.

7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

It sounds like it might be the American Coin Club Grading Service.

8. skittles

skittles New Member

Any new ideas on this grading service ?

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ACCGS
    not a grading service that I would consider using.

10. satootoko

satootoko Retired

What part of "the four top grading services are PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG and all others are less respected in the hobby" don't you understand?

11. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

12. SapperNurse

SapperNurse DOD enhanced

Vetrans of the site, of course know the relationship between SGS and Aboncom.

What other "Grading Services" popular on Ebay have the owner/operator link?

13. ljkvette

ljkvette Member

I have several ACCS slabs. They provide a grade for both the obverse & the reverse. The ones I have seem to be accurate in grades.

I hope this helps!

14. skittles

skittles New Member

I'm fully aware of the connection between SGS -- Aboncom and NNC ---centsles on Ebay. I have a several of NNC graded coins and they are over rated by 2-3 ms's each, however they are still worth more than I paid for them. I bought a 1927-D Lincoln penny rated ms-67 by NNC for 99 cents because I was the only one that bid on it. I couldn't find anybody that was interested in buying it becasue of the off brand grading, so I sent it to PCGS for a cross grade through a local dealer. It came back a MS-64 and the dealer gave me 125 dollars for it right there on the spot. This was the same person who wasn't interested because of the NNC slab. So much for buy the coin and not the slab.
    I've done considerable reasearch on ACCGS over the past few days and the general opinion seems to be that their grades hold up well and time will give them rightful place in the grading industry. I posted my question on here because no one had discussed them in the last couple of years and I was interested in what people thought afetr time to evaluate them. I don't need forum monkey moderators coming to my posts and telling me that I'm stupid for asking a question. If you can't give a repectful answer then stay out of the conversation, your opinions are not needed.

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

This might be the exception to the rule of "buy the coin and not the slab." If the slab is not secure and can be opened, then whatever grading skills the company possesses are worthless because you can never prove that the coin was not switched. If the slab is secure and cannot be opened without destroying it, there probably isn't much downside to buying a couple of them as long as there are no high valued coins involved.

16. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Number One: No one called you stupid. Your post is the first one in the thread where that word appears.

Number Two: Comments insulting other members are not welcome on CoinTalk, no matter who they are directed to or about. There are many occasions on which members disagree, and on this forum they do so respectfully, and without "flaming".

Number Three: All opinions are equally welcome on CoinTalk, whether or not any particular member - Moderator or not - agrees with them. A simple statement of disagreement, or a statement of a conflicting view, are all that is necessary.

I can assure you that all of the Moderators are human beings, not monkeys.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What is odd is Skittles post where he insults the moderators is his first post in the thread!! So none of the comments he takes objection to were directed at him in the first place. Unless of course he is also Rerecoins and he is objecting today to comments made to him two years ago.

Plus the only moderator who responded two years ago was Speedy, and it looks to me like his response was an attempt to be helpful

18. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

First of all, I want to say that I am not familiar with ACCGS. However, I would opine that any grading company, other than the obvious 'conflict of interest graders' specificed in this thread, are worth some study. There is no reason why a grader other than the four 'biggies' can't make inroads if they have a good product.

If I saw a great deal of positive feedback about ACCGS, I would consider them.

19. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

This is a very good point. My concern is people actually looking at the coins that they are buying, and not just going by the assigned grade. But if the holder is unsecured, then that does not matter either, as the coin could easily be switched out. That said, I stick with the major 4 TPGs and occasionally PCI if I see a nice coin for the right money.

20. skittles

skittles New Member

First off, I'm not rerecoins or whoever it is you're talking about.
    Second, the statement of "What part of < insert subject > is it that you don't understand ? , is an insult, no matter how you cut it . It simply means that you're too dumb, too stupid, too ignorant, to understand the basics of the converstaion. Is that how moderators treat the new people who come here with legitimate questions? There has been absoluty no discussion on this grading company in the last 2 years, so I ask a simple questions, "any new thoughts on this company?"
    Every forum has a forum monkey, forum monkeys are people who swing from thread to thread trying to find something negative to say about anyone's comments. If you study NLP, they teach this as a polarity response. Polarity responders always disagree with what you say. If you say the sky is blue, they quickly point out that yesterday it was raining and the sky was grey so nothing you say can be taken as the truth and everything you say is a lie. If you never have studied NLP, I strongly suggest it for anyone and everyone, you will never look at people the same.
    Lets get back to the subject, anyone else checked ACCGS graded coins ? I havn't seen to many of there coins around but I have found a place that I can buy a wheelbarrow full of them for considerably less than the market value of the top tier graders.

21. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

First off---I don't think you can call it an insult....I have known Roy for a long time and he didn't mean it in such a way---on a online forum there are many times when someone will read a post the wrong way---you can say things joking and you can say things that when read one way can be taken a totaly other way.

The question has been answered---none of the guys here would buy an ACCGS coin just because it was graded by them---we buy the COIN not the slab---if I walked up to a guy and he offered me a coin in an ACCGS slab I would first grade the coin myself....If I think the coin grades MS64 then I'm only going to pay MS64.....as it has been said....ACCGS like alot of other grading companies is one of these fly-by-night grading compaines that over grade coins--if you want some good coins buy NGC/PCGS/ANACS/ICG and at times PCI graded coins.

Now---if you know how to grade and can grade good, then I see no harm in buying coins graded by ACG or ACCGS or SGS or any of the other grading companies.
    I doubt that---what are you going by??? the grades on the holders???
    Alrightly lets look at it this way.
    You have 2 Franklin Half Dollars---they are both 1950 and they are both graded PF66.
    One is graded by NGC and the other is graded by ACCGS---now first off I would grade both coins myself--in most cases the coins graded by the fly by nights, ACCGS, will grade many points lower than the right grade....now a PF66 should sell for around $400-$500---but a PF62 might only sell for $100....now if they say that they will sell it to you for $200 you might say....
    But in all truth, you are not....you are paying full value and maybe much more for an overgraded coin---do you see my point....maybe I'm not making my self clear.
    There is 1 chance in 1,000,000,000.......... that you are going to get a coin for considerably less than market value because in most cases the people that are playing the market game know what they can get and who will bring them the best money.
    Again---if you know how to grade--and I don't mean picking up the ANA Grading Guide and looking through it....but I mean really know how (I'm still learning---it takes year of study---looking at thousands of coins..) then you might can get some good deals.

Hope this helps

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted