About Forum ancient coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The Phoenician, Aug 20, 2008.

1. The Phoenician

The Phoenician New Member

Do a lot of people here trust buy from http://www.forumancientcoins.com without being scammed and coins turning up as fakes?
    Are their any other websites that sell ancient coins that are recommended by most coin collectors?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. svessien

svessien Senior Member

You can find a lot of reliable dealers of ancient coins. Forum is one.
    All the dealers on VCoins are reliable too, and even some selling on ebay.
    Then there's sixbid.com - all the auction houses there are highly reputable. Frank Robinson coins is also a good seller.

If you are about to get serious about ancient coin collecting, a membership in this group is highly recommended:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoinForgeryDiscussionList/

This is the best group of watch dogs I've ever come across while collecting ancient coins.

Good luck and happy buying!

4. The Phoenician

Thanks! Ill see what other people would have to say as well. an off topic question but is their certain ancient coins in which all collectors must have?

5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:goofer::goofer: yeah, thats the one I want to start saving for.

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

They just seem so common and available. I can always get one, I feel. Eventually, I probably will.

8. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

I trust them and I like their guarantee.

Authenticity Guaranteed For Eternity - Any item deemed a forgery may be returned anytime forever for a refund of the purchase price. If any coin purchased from FORVM is deemed a forgery by the ACCS, IGC, NGC or PCGS, we will pay their authentication fees plus a refund. Our guarantee makes coin collecting safe and easy for the beginner and the experienced collector.

9. Darkfenix

Darkfenix New Member

i just purchased 10 uncleaned for forvm very happy with what they sent (got 12 instead of 10) all shapes n sizes and some are turning out rather nicely and if i recall they garuntee the authenticty of all their coins or ur money back. so thats alright by me :)

10. The Phoenician

What exactly did you order? can you post some pics if you have time. and svessien, that a nice looking coin! is it silver and how much does it cost?

11. svessien

svessien Senior Member

:goof:
    That's probably why I posted it as an answer to a question about "is their certain ancient coins in which all collectors must have?"

As Athens in their peak by and large controlled monetary policy in their region for a century, so the type is, as you say, common. It is also of great historical and numismatical significance, IMHO.

12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Hi Phoenician

It is a silver (AR) tetradrachm (4 drachms) from Athens.
    They usually sell from 3-400 $ and up, depending on type and condition.
    I think I paid 325$ for mine. As you can see, it's pretty worn.

If you go to the Forum web shop, I believe you find uncleaned coin lots there:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ca...oins.asp?vpar=869&pos=0#Uncleaned Coins Coins

They also sell cleaning tools. Their brass brushes are excellent.

And, no, I don't work there:kewl:

13. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I sure do. Good to see you, buddy!

You traded that one for some common date Morgans, didn't you?:headbang:

15. The Phoenician

Thanks for the info! But were did you get that Athenian coin, it really caught my eye! Did you get it from the forum ancient coin website?

16. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

Yes. Some (yawn) ho hum morgans. But mostly to prove to her that I wasn't nuts and that people do collect them. LOL

17. svessien

svessien Senior Member

No, I bought it on ebay. I rarely buy expensive coins on ebay, because there's a risk of being scammed. You can reduce that risk by educating yourself, but there will always be a possibility of getting taken on auction sites like ebay.

I like to buy coins from Classical Numismatic Group (CNG).
    They have an internet auction every month, and there's often Athens tets for sale there.

You won't have any problems finding a coin like that. They are not rare (some varieties are, though).

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

www.forumancientcoins.com click greek, then athens, they have a few :)

19. Darkfenix

Darkfenix New Member

yeah i'll prob be posting some of the finished coins very soon as alot are reaching the point where the brush ,pin,toothbrush,ect are not really removing anything, they look good but I wanted to make alot of them reach their peak (or my opinion of it) they seemed like a decent lot, fair number of constatines but a few others and 1 silvered but most of the silver was gone or i stripped it when cleaning it :S

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:eek::eek::eek:

21. Darkfenix

Darkfenix New Member

i dunno if i did or it was like that cuz i only brushed it with a tooth brush lighly first but hey yeah never know i didn't even know it had silver on it till after most of the dirt was off n i saw small silvered pats over the bronze

Draft saved Draft deleted