About cleaning coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ismael, Nov 21, 2003.

1. ismael

ismael Junior Member

Hello,

I know coins should not be cleaned. I've been hearing that for years and years. However, I have many coins that could use some cleaning. These are not valuable coins, nor I want them to look like BU. But some grime and maybe some pen or pencil marks. I just want them to look just a bit better, without the intention of selling or anything. I have heard many stories from white vinegar for pennies, baking soda and water paste for silver coins to automotive polishes. I saw somebody once using Blue Magic chrome polish in some dimes. I mostly deal with wheat cents but I have a bit of everything from copper to silver to aluminum foreign coins, from past centuries to present. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ismael

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RENE SIMPSON

RENE SIMPSON New Member

ismael

If you are sure that the coin is not valuable and you want it to look good for yourself, baking soda and a wet Q tip works very well for silver. Just rub it with light pressure until the dirt or tarnish is gone then wipe all the soda off with a clean soft cloth. After that you will need to put it in an air tight container or it will start to tone or tarnish again.This method does not work quite as well with other metals but You can buy a professional metal cleaner on the internet that will not damage the coin but it will probably cause the coin to be considered circulated even if it is not, so be very careful what you use it on. Hope this is helpful to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted