A totally bored customer...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tradernick, Dec 19, 2004.

1. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

So this guy comes into the shop...regular customer. Retired navy that loves coins and other interesting things. Says he's got a new hobby and has been melting u.s. 90% coins and sterling scrap...making them into things. Paperweights....star shaped and round and just big blobs of silver. Just as they're cooling he sticks more silver coins to them so there's usually a coin or silver round stuck to the top...or dimes sticking sideways out of the thing, or a piece of sterling chain visible.
    The first time I thought he was trying to pull a fast one but since he's local I bought them anyway and had them refined. Sure enough...94% pure. He's since sold me a few more. Pretty sad that he's got nothing better to do than melt coins.
    Look here to see one that didn't sell on FEEbay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3361&item=3944530896&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. the_highlander

the_highlander New Member

only one word i can think of

WHY

4. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

I've always wondered how many rare coins are lost per year due to fires, hurricanes, accidental damage, etc. I wonder if this guy added any 1928 peace dollars to his smelter?

5. Tallpaul000

Tallpaul000 Searcher

Well, maybe I'm weird too, but I think that is pretty creative. I might go for it if I saw it on ebay, price right around melt too. I bought a tray made out of silver peso's which I still have. At lease that piece can be sitting on your desk getting admired, unlike a lot of really nice coins sitting somewhere in the dark.

6. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Trader Nick, Are you sure that this guy isn't sitting in Seaworld all day drinking the free beer before he smelts. Then it makes cents.

7. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Well i think he's creative. Anyhow no one gonna miss a few thousand 1960s silver coins.

8. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Actually, if all he's melting are in junk condition anyway, I think it's a good idea. It's a way to enjoy a different form of collecting with coins. I know have seen a lot of coins pass across my desk that would be prime candidates for this type of item.

9. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Same here... quite a few i can think of. I mean it'd be a good way of disposing of damaged coins, both cleaned and ones that look like they have an argument with a hammer.

10. the_highlander

the_highlander New Member

i cant agree
    i guess if he was making an artform and just using the silver as the material to do so fair enough, but hes sort of between coins and art.He isint polishing the final product and looks like hes using cake moulds.

pretty lame if you ask me.would rather the silver i buy was in clearly recconised content.

11. jody526

jody526 New Member

I think the main problem, with that auction, is that the potential buyer is put in a position of trusting the seller's word, that the item is 8.5 oz of 94% pure silver.

How many are willing to take a chance of risking $55, in order to make $10?

12. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Are you taking into account the artistic value of the object?? :rolleyes:

13. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Anything if it's gonna make my '64 quarters rarer! ;)

14. jody526

jody526 New Member

No, but that's a good point. :)

Personally, I don't consider melted coins, to be artistic. :rolleyes:

Now, someone else might, but someone else might also consider a monkey's footprints, on a piece of canvas, to be artistic, too. ;)

15. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Good point Jody. A leap of faith in the seller would be required. I thought perhaps I had enough established ebay customers and a fair enough reputation on ebay to justify trying this one. It didn't get any bids, so no biggie. I'll continue sending them to the burner as long as he brings them in. Lucky coins...they get to be melted twice lol.
    Nick

Draft saved Draft deleted