A couple new Roman (ladies) from the Frankfurt-Numismata Show

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The biggest coin show in our area - The Frankfurt Numismata show took place over the weekend November 7,8th. This event attracts all of the major german auction houses (Kuenker, Peus, Gorny/Mosch), all of the major dealers from germany and the EU, as well as some dealers from overseas. Even PCGS and NGC were there touting their encapsulation services for world coins.

The number and quality of coins on offer was frankly overwhelming. I was mostly on the lookout for Ancients this time, and counted no fewer than 20 dealers offering large selections of ancient coins. I have never seen so many! ( and I have seen a few). I was impressed by one dealer who had Bags (!) of denarii of Septimius Severus and Severus Alexander.... Of course, many rarities were on offer as well, Celtic, Greek and Roman.

At the end I decided to focus on one dealer from Austria who had nice a very nice selection of 1st and 2nd century imperial coins. These ladies came home with me. A denarius of Sabina with reverse Concordia, an As (or Dupondius) also of Sabina with reverse Ceres, and an Orbiana denarius.

Hope you like these.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Beautiful! congrats :)

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ah, I was at that show too. Not interested in ancients, but I did buy a few (euro, US, notgeld) coins at the Frankfurt Numismata. What the dealers offered was an interesting mix and a wide range, I think, including quite a bit of paper money. Was also good to meet the "makers" of Muenzauktion/MA-Shops in person. And a German coin site had a forum bash there on Saturday ...

Christian

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are some lovely coins

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thanks guys for your comments.

.........Not interested in ancients!?! we need to change that!

Just kidding. The show was great and I noticed that dealers were more willing than usual to strike deals. I wish I'd had more cash with me..........

On the downside, the parking fees at the venue were horrendous. I could have bought a coin for what i paid (or close to that).

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Not bad, two of the better ladies to have in your harem. Now, if you brought out a Matilda or Plotina...

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, a fellow collector had warned me about that. So I parked my car in Osloer Str (that area under construction, close to Platz der Einheit). Not right in front of the Messe-Forum, but free. :) On Saturday "morning" there were lots of visitors; hope that resulted in many pieces being sold. Did not spend a fortune there but more than I had planned to spend ...

Christian

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Lovely looking coins Eduard :high5: What euros/Notgeld did you get Christian?

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Happy for all of you.

I am so happy for all of you that attended. I will mark my calendar for the next Frankfurt Numismata when it is scheduled. Hopefully, I can arrange the time.

In case you are interested, there is a low cost hotel walking distance from the Messe called the Astoria Hotel (069) 97 56 00. You can conveniently walk through an underground passage that brings you up near that iron man statue at the Messe. It is nice, clean, friendly, simple, & much cheaper than the other Messe area hotels.

Please post photos of what you got there.

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

A few circulation coins and sets so I now have all "new map" pieces. Also, the latest €2 commems from Finland and Italy, and some collector coins from Portugal that I found interesting. With regard to notgeld, well, I don't really collect that but wanted to have something from around here ... and since there is hardly anything from Cologne and Düsseldorf (except paper), I got some coins from Aachen and Koblenz. Cheap, common - and now mine.

Oh, and I also bought the 2009 US Mint Proof Set. 18 coins from this year's special Lincoln pennies to the various $1 pieces, at €30. Not a bargain but not bad either. No photos because (a) I am a lousy coin photographer, (b) I don't want to hijack Eduard's thread, (c) you have seen them all anway. :p

@ Collect89 - Hope the hotel tip will be useful for (potential) visitors. This time I had to stay overnight in Wiesbaden anyway, but usually I just drive down there. Takes about 2 hours one way, and I don't plan to visit the show on both days ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted