800 Walking Libertys -- Worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ferriswheel, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ferriswheel

ferriswheel New Member

I have 800 walking liberty half dollars in all kinds of condition and dates. Should I just sell them for silver value or is there good reason to check them out for better sale values?

Thanks,

Jeff, newbie

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I will buy them from you for their bullion value and then I will check them to see if there are any rare dates, mintmarks, high grades, etc.

Why would you NOT want to do that yourself?

4. ferriswheel

ferriswheel New Member

800 walking libertys

I would check them myself if I had the skill and knowledge. I just got onto CoinTalk and I'm trying to get up to speed on this topic.

I have had a bad experience with a dealer when I sold some gold coins. He palmed a couple of coins and I was too stupid to realize what was going on until after he had left the room. It cost me hundreds of dollars.

I guess this sounds pretty lame, but I do have over 600 JFK and BF halves along with the 800 liberties. I bought them decades ago and decided to sell when I saw silver going up so high.

Jeff

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I would suggest you do a little research and educate yourself in these areas. Buy a Red Book (Guide Book of United States Coins) and a book on Walker halves. The books will show you which dates are worth more than common dates, where to find mintmarks, how to grade the coins, etc. It's really not that hard. And you stand to gain from this knowledge by being able to sell your coins for more than bullion.

6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

do yourself a big favor and spend the $16.95 to get a copy of the ANA Grading Standardss for United States Coins and learn how to tell the difference between a junk coin and one that may grade fine or better. Then look at E-bay and heritage auction sites for prices realized for the coins in question. This will give you a ood Idea of what is worth more than melt value.

I'd say post some on here but with about 1400 coins that's a lot for us to try to give you an opinion on. Maybe you can pick a few that look to be in nicer condition than most and post them to give us some idea of what you have.

Good luck

Richard

7. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

They will always be worth melt. Why not take the time to see if one or two (or 30-40) are worth more?

8. ferriswheel

ferriswheel New Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I will get some pictures posted tomorrow after I sort through them. I have a lot of nice looking 1940s coins and some medium nice 1930s.

Jeff

9. SapperNurse

SapperNurse DOD enhanced

If you find a 1921 D you can give it to me lol

10. Oldman

Oldman New Member

Sell them on ebay in one mass lot. lol

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Hobo its only fair we split the deal yu take half and i will take half ( just make sur i get the gold)

12. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Definetly check them for the rare and rarer dates. Here's a list of dates to look for:

1916 D
    1916 S
    1917 D (mintmark on obverse)
    1921 D
    1921 S
    1938 D

There are plenty other dates too look for too, but I think those are the main ones. I'd take the advice of the others and go buy a redbook, great info, and will help teach you about them. Best of luck. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

13. Phoenix21

BTW, welcome to the forum. :thumb:

14. invictus

invictus Senior Member

Or you could just post pictures of each coin, one by one, under the title "What's this worth?"
    :goofer:

15. ferriswheel

ferriswheel New Member

What about a 1920S? Not too bad, it still has some lines in the eagle feathers.

16. Phoenix21

Wll, I am using a real old price guide, but it lists a 20 S in G for $9, VG for $10, and F for $24. It has most likely gone up in value since then, but that might give you a ballpark figure. That is, if the coin has no damage that would lower it's value. Hope this helps a bit. :thumb:

17. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I agree. I'll take the valuable half and you take the bullion half.

18. Phoenix21

Hobo:

:thumb: :D :thumb:

19. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

that is quite alot of silver there. welcome to the forum! :thumb: instead of selling them why not keep them for silver value? the value of silver is going up everyday. buy yourself a redbook and some folders so you can start a set.

20. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

800 Walking Libertys -- Worth?

800 x 5.90 (current spot price) = $4720

For melt value alone.....there could be coins in better condition that would be worth more & possibly hard to find dates that would be worth more.

21. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

Welcome ferriswheel!

Aren't there some varieties that carry a premium? I know nothing about Walking Liberty Halves, but thought I read about a double die reverse (DDR) that's pretty nice and very easy to see. 1946 maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted