7th Post Giveaway!! – 1909-S PCGS Graded Barber Quarter!!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by illini420, Jul 4, 2009.

1. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Yeah that’s right, this is only my 7th post on the Coin Talk Forum and I’m doing my first giveaway here!! Figured that I would try to win over the Coin Talk crowd from the start! Over on the Collectors Universe Forum I’ve done several giveaways and had fun with all of them.

For those of you who do not know me, my primary collecting interest right now is the completion of a high grade 1909 Mint Set (30 coins in total). The 1909 set is a fun set as it has several key date coins including the 1909-S Indian Head Cent, 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent, 1909-S Lincoln Cent, 1909-O Barber Quarter and the 1909-O $5 Indian Head Half Eagle. Some of the others are pretty tough dates as well. Additionally, 1909 was the last year the New Orleans Mint minted coins for circulation. Feel free to check out my registry set at the following link (also in my signature line):

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=49767

My last giveaway over on the Collectors Universe Forum was a PCGS F12 1909-S Lincoln Cent. Sticking with the 1909 theme, the prize for this giveaway (exclusive to members of this Forum) is a 1909-S Barber Quarter graded PCGS VF25!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

How to Enter:

So, in order to win the 1909-S Barber Quarter PCGS VF25 all you have to do reply to this thread and tell me which coin in my 1909 Mint Set (linked above) is your favorite and why.

Also, if you have a 1909 dated coin of your own, I’d love to see pics of your favorite posted here too!!!

The winner will be selected randomly from those who enter by Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 7:00pm PDT.

Extra Help for the YNs:

If you are under 25, I’ll include your name in the random drawing twice. Just say “Under 25” in your post so I know :)

If you are under 18, I’ll include your name in the random drawing three times. Just say “Under 18” in your post so I know :)

If you are under 14, I’ll include your name in the random drawing five times. Just say “Under 14” in your post so I know :)

Good luck to all who enter!!! Thanks!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

First off thanks for the contest! My favorite coin in that set is your ms66 cac 1909 d quarter. Truly amazing coin. I am 14 years old so I don't know if that can qualify as "under 14" haha. I really like the prize - very generous of you! Thanks again!

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

"Under 18" (14 years old)
    And my favorite coin is that quarter eagle. I too am starting a quarter eagle collection, in AU55 or better, and I own 1910 (AU55) and 1911 (AU58) (Both are in my $2.5 Indian album here at cointalk)
    I think your coins looks very nice, and the marks, and hits match up to that of MY AU55, and reminds me of my own coin, except it is a different date of course! :)
    Your coin is a very nice one, in fact, all of them are, and I am glad you took the time to join cointalk, and also show us your set. :)
    If I had to pick a second favorite, it would definitely be that liberty nickel! WOW A MS66! That is a real nice one, very clean fields, and just an attractive coin overall!
    Really I have to say that I like um' all!
    Thanks For The Contest, and Thanks For Showing Us Your Coins! :)

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Hey welcome to the fourm...and yes I love to enter your contest! My choice of your favorite would be the 1909 nickel! I know it would be mine as I am a nickel nut! @ 55 double nickels now I only wish I could say I am younger to have another chance on your prize. I have a complete set of Indian Head cents....as also Jefferson nickels Franklin half dollars. Your prize would be a nice addition to my type coins. 1909 was a banner year for U.S. coins...again welcome feel free to pm me if you ever want to chat coins. Regards Paddy

6. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I had a hard time, I love the 09-S barber half, it's beautiful, but I'm picking the 09-S Lincoln. I don't have any 09 coins worthy of posting here.

7. Hey illini420!

I guess I go in the under 18 category (Im 14)

My favorite coin from your list is definitely that
    MS66RD 1909 Indian Head Cent! It's a beautiful coin! The Indian Head Cent is one of my favorite coins. I just started my own Indian Head Cent set, but most of my coins are from G-VF condition.

Thanks for the contest!

PS: I also love that MS66 V-Nickel!

8. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Thanks so much. Awsome collection. My favorite is the nickel. The reason is that I have a bunch of these, and they all are so very worn. I just don't see this coin in mint state. Yours is the finest I've seen. It truly is a beautiful coin in mint state! Not so much in G4....

Under 50!!! ;)

Thanks again!

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Thanks for the contest. I am under 25.

My favorite is tour 1909-S VDB. It is a gorgeous example of one of my dream coins. Ever since I was a young child, the 09-S VDB has been near the top of the my list and I have yet to be able to purchase one. Someday I hope to but I don't know if I would ever have one as nice as your MS65RD example.

10. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

Wow, it sure is awesome to be 14! :D So I guess mine is "Under 18"

My favorite would be the 1909 D St. Gaudens $20 Eagle. Why? Not only it's a classic, but I've always loved coins with low mintage numbers. Your one is absolutely beautiful with great eye appeal. I've been trying to get a $20 St. Gaudens for quite some time now, but I've never had the money to buy one.

Thank you for the contest! :)

11. Art

Art Numismatist?

Great collection. The IHC is my favorite too. It's my favorite series of US Coins. I'm quite partial to your Eagles too. I guess I'd pick the 09-D. I like slightly used coins.

Please don't put me in the hat. Better chances for some of the young folks. Thanks for doing this.

12. mjhansonmetayer

mjhansonmetayer Junior Member

Welcome to the board and awesome collection. I am technically in the under 25 category, but have already had the privilege of sharing some of my knowledge of coins with others through my occassional articles on the subject of coin collecting.
    I personally find 1909 to be a great year to collect, it marks the death of the indian cent and the rise of the lincoln. I really enjoyed seeing your 1909 indian cent and wish you the best on getting a MS60+ for the 1909S Indian Cent, we both know their rarity and associated cost.
    Good luck on your collection and again, it is a great one. And good luck to me on your drawing for the barber quarter.

13. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Awesome contest, and I'm 23.

My favorite has to be the 1909/8 double eagle. I like variety coins and it's neat to see a gold variety.

Thanks for the contest and I hope you stick around.

14. Fishfly

Fishfly Junior Member

My favorite is the 1909-S VDB. One of the first valuable coins I was made aware of.

15. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I think I like the Half Eagle best. Because its a pretty cool design, and the fact that the design is incuse is pretty cool too. I am 25 years old. Not sure if that counts for anything as that means I'm not under 25.
    Thanks for the contest!

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thanks for the contest.

I am under 100.

The 1909 O Barber quarter!
    No question.

That is one tough date, and it is getting very tough in all grades down to G-4.

At one time is was considered nothing more than a common date. No longer.
    And Barber quarter collector knows how difficult that coin is in any grade, and often a low grade one occupies a high grade set.

You have an MS-64, and I appreciate your showing it! I have never see one before, and I have been searching for a nice AU for years (at least 15 years) and the best that I have ever seen is a F-12.
    In fact, when a F-12 was bid at $30 I was offered $100 for it. I am glad that I turned it down, since I have never seen another.

Great date & MM, great condition.

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

You're 100% right about the 1909-O quarter being very tough and highly undervalued in just about all price guides. The last AU58 to auction last year brought $4,025!!! Currently the price in the Greysheet for an AU is less than $500. In short, buy any certified 1909-O quarter you find at the Greysheet prices and you'll do fine!!!

One of the 1909-O PCGS MS66 Quarters is going for auction next month at Heritage in part of the Duckor collection. Now that is a coin I can dream about!!!!

18. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I am going to have to choose the 1909-D Eagle. The wear is very even and the color is great. I do love $10 Indian's though. :eek: Under 18 (I'm 14)

BTW welcome to the forum!

19. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Thanks for the contest!

I am 24, so just barely qualify for the two entries.

I love those liberty nickels, so I have to go with that one. Maybe it is just the photo, but there appears to be a red mark underneath the I in United on the reverse. Any idea what that is? other than that an amazing coin.

20. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Just took a look at the coin and there is nothing on the coin in that spot... probably just me not properly lighting the coin. I really like this one too.

However, in case anyone was wondering, my favorite coin in the set right now is probably the 1909-O Barber Half. Booming with luster and has a very nice rose colored toning on parts of it. Amazing strike for a final year New Orleans Half.

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Welcome to CT! That's an amazing collection. Hands down I like the 1909S $10 Eagle (AU53) That's right down my alley and a particular design and coin of interest to me. I can't believe you are offering a contest so early on. I think your generosity will be greatly rewarded here as well. Cheers!

Draft saved Draft deleted