'44d Steel Wheatie!!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by silentnviolent, Jul 3, 2008.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Well what do you all think??? Looks Maybe MS+ quality to me!! It IS magnetic, so I'm excited here!!! Check it out.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Check for alteration of date, and seams...possible 2 coins machined to hold a steel insert between a copper "sandwich", I have seen that before.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I didn't know there was such an animal, I thought these were just rumors (...you know, like "Bigfoot"). Where did you get this, pray tell? Now don't tell us in change at McDonald's. ;)

5. Arizona Jack

It's not real.....
    We just have to figure out "how" they faked it

6. silentnviolent

Yeah I dunno about it... I brought it to the only two coin shops within a hundred miles and while at one shop the owner scrutinized it carefully for seams and the like. He found none, and noticing only minor discoloring on the reverse but telling me that is to be expected and congratulating me. The owner of the second wouldn't even look closely at it. He simply offered me $5 for it. When I told him I was aware of its potential value if authenticated, he pretty much ushered me out the door, unconcerned I'd actually wanted to make purchases there. Now this forum is my best bet for honest input.

7. silentnviolent

Friends of mine give me coins they think are weird all the time. This one sat with other coins unnoticed for maybe a year or two? before it got looked at closely, raising my eyebrows... I dunno. if it IS fake it is a cruel joke. Noone I know has the tools or knowlege to do something like this.

8. silentnviolent

I believe Heritage recently sold a specimin in AU condition, and I think i read that they estimate there are 20 known? something like that.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Didn't any of these geniuses at the coin shops think of weighing it? If it's a left-over steel planchet it should tip the scales at 2.7g.

10. Arizona Jack

Very similar to a "two headed" coin, a machinist will make the coin sandwich and remove enough inside to hold a steel insert. It will be press fit back together, and if skillfully done, the seam will be difficult to detect.

If you weigh this, I am sure the weight will be off.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Arizona, is it possible this is a steel-plated '44-D? I mean, to explain the magnetism?

12. silentnviolent

weight is 2.9 grams. another item of interest discussed at the "good" coin shop. it is kinda in between...

13. silentnviolent

That is what I initially thought. if it is there is no detectable seam. I really thought it was fake but after my own doubts were dashed by someone with many more years in the hobby than myself, I don't even know what to do with it.

14. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

It's tough to tell without better pics (atleast for me), but there is a chance IMHO that it's real, as there are steel cent errors for this date. Best of lcuk (take it to a jeweler, and get it weighed, that'd be the next step). What makes you think it's not real Jack?

Phoenix :cool:

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Unless I'm mistaken, 2.9 doesn't cut it. Inference is, something funny going on here. Not saying spend it! Really hoping I'm wrong...

16. silentnviolent

well thanks for the insight guys! Lol, I've gotten mixed responses all across the board on this one. I still hesitate to send any of my coins to a grading service though. (I'm not sure if I trust them) But I hear ICG is good..... I've never sent any coins out befor.....

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Heritage just sold 2 both NGS (their only 2 certified) MS62 & MS63 for $92,000 and $115,000 respectively. From what I can glean, they have also sold 3 different ANACS in the past. FYI, one of the slabs state the coin inside weighs 2.77 grams.

All that aside, I would lay odds it is a fake.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That kind of money tips the odds in your favor so I'm not taking you up on that bet. ;) But I'm still hoping we're wrong...

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

2.9 grams is high enough to be worrisome but from the low quality pictures it does look good. You say it is magnetic, STRONGLY magnetic or weakly magnetic? If it is strongly magnetic then I think it is definitely worthwhile to examine it further.

20. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

First a question. Why are do you hesitate? What stories have you heard about them?
    The last grading Co. I would send it to is ICG. They have just lately changed hands and all of the good graders left there and went to ANACS, the good graders at ANACS left there and went to ICG.

If you want to get it graded, or Bodybagged, then I would suggest eithrer PCGS or NGC.

Speedy

21. silentnviolent

I heard about people doing the old switcheroo, maybe taking your authentic coin and replacing it with a fake, or a lesser piece. I guess I need more discussion on that topic with you guys out there who know. I have a 1974 lincoln cent i thought might be the famed "aluminum" experiment, and after calling all the major services found ICG was the only place that would touch it. Also, I was told I would need to go through my dealer to go for PCGS or NGC, and I'm not comfortable with the only dealer within 100 miles... -Andy

Draft saved Draft deleted