4 Unknown Greeks - #1

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Jul 8, 2020.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Supporter! Supporter

I have been playing around with my new USB microscope, with decidedly mixed results, photographing some very tiny Greek bronzes. There are 4 coins that I haven't yet positively IDed, so I'm going to ask for help in 4 different posts. Here's the first:
    Unknown11mm1d5g.jpg
    I think this might Milne 78B, an AE chalkous from Kolophon in Ionia, and I think that might be an astragalos to the left of the lyre on the reverse.
    Obv: Head of Apollo, wearing taenia
    Rev: Lyre within square, astragalos to left.
    12mm, 1.5g

Any thoughts?

Andres2, Pishpash, Plumbata and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

4. gsimonel

I agree. In fact, I had originally thought this was from Hamaxitos. What made me change my mind was what looks like an astragalos to the left of the kithara:
    temp.jpg
    But it may not be possible to give this a positive id without a legend. Thanks for writing.

5. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

While the coin has some little "pimples" of corrosion that should be left alone, from what I can see the reverse is still a bit dirty and would certainly benefit from a careful cleaning which might reveal enough to make a more conclusive call. Sure does look like an astragalos but I'd try cleaning to see if it might be mushed text.

6. gsimonel

I'll try cleaning it and getting a better photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted