[CLOSED] 2018 New Years Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Prize will be a mystery coin. For the winner. Anywhere in the world that I am able to mail to. Random Number says who is a winner. Actually two winners. Maybe if I am generous, three.

Last day to enter is January 10th.

Rules: Just post what you want to accomplish in your life or numismatically in your life in 2018. And list your top three coins you like to collect.

Ryro, heuvy31, chrisild and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Make enough money to get by, buy enough coins to be happy, learn enough about something to share with someone, and be healthy enough to enjoy it all.

I’d like to own a US Capped Bust Half Dime, a $2 1/2 Indian Gold Coin, and a Seated Dollar

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    heuvy31, Stevearino, Nyatii and 2 others like this.
  4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I would really like to get a 4.0 average for my next 2 semesters in 2018. I haven't gotten my official grades for this semester yet, however I predict it to be a 4.0, from my grades before finals and how well I think I did.

Edit: whoops maybe my goal for 2018 should be to actually read the rules/directions for things. I really love mercury dimes and was thinking about making like a date set for them. I could probably get a lot for a reasonable amount of money too!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    mikenoodle likes this.
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

What do I want to accomplish in 2018? Nothing special really. I've accomplished more in my life than I set out to do and I am now winding it down towards a second retirement. If I can continue to live peacefully and fruitfully on my piece of land in rural Virginia I will be happy. Numismatically I have long collected German coins but as my budget decreases in my retirement I am starting to think of concentrating more on specific areas, yet still to be decided.

The top three coins I like to collect? All German, of course. I am trying to complete a set of German Empire half marks in UNC, which is almost complete. I like to collect Weimar silver, but it is expensive and I only have a few. And I enjoy seeking out pre-1870 coins from as many different German States as I can.

mikenoodle likes this.
  6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Numismatic goal in 2018: Draped Bust Quarter, improve on some lower-hanging fruit for my U.S. Type Set

Favorite coins to collect? That's tough. For U.S., I'm gonna say my favorite designs at the moment: Flying Eagle cent, Walking Liberty half, and... Lincoln Wheat cents.

Thanks for the contest.

heuvy31 and mikenoodle like this.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

May you enjoy all of those things and more, Sakata. Merry Christmas.

And to you as well, Kasia

LaCointessa and sakata like this.
  8. cman

cman Junior Member

So for what to accomplish. In 2018 I want to be a good father (my first is due June 18th) and further my career.

My top three coins to collect are Walking Liberty Halves (been my favorite since I was young, Jefferson Nickels, and recently Large cents (see my profile pic for my most recent).

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

9. Gemtastic

Gemtastic New Member

Coins and more coins. Wheat pennies and war nickel finds in cash register change at work. Completing the queens beasts silver coins. That is what I want to accomplish as far as coin collecting. But mainly making people smile ,if only for a moment and a day.

LaCointessa, mikenoodle and Garlicus like this.
  10. joe1320

joe1320 Member

Find my first 64 or before Quarter in my change. I have been looking for over 20 years and have not found one yet!!!

mikenoodle likes this.
  11. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

For 2018 I hope to complete a set of Jefferson Nickels, all found roll searching over the years. I only need a 42 D. My goal is a box a day for 2018. My passion is Bust coins of all denominations, Lincoln's, and Jefferson's. Thank you for the contest.

heuvy31 likes this.
  12. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

I'd like to continue my business, and get a bachelors degree in Aerospace engineering, and continue coin collecting.
    1. 1909 S IHC
    2. Peace dollar
    3. Early 20th century US 1 dollar bill
    _______
    Thank you for holding this contest! :)

Thanks,

13. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, so my goal for 2018 is to get rid of all the stuff I've accumulated over the years and get down to just having furniture in my house. Then I can do some updates/remodeling, and/or sell the house and use the equity to pay (mostly) cash for a house in a less expensive area.

I have already started, but was hit with a flood that threw me for a loop for 2 months (emotionally and time wise). The bright side of it though, it was a reason to get the basement mostly cleared out. I have also started to box up stuff and bring it to my adopted little brother's wife, for a yard sale this spring. They will make a few hundred dollars (3-5) to help support their young family (maybe replace the old wooden fence that sits atop a retaining wall, thus ensuring that the 2 and 8 year old don't break though it and drop 30 feet. Of course, I'll probably just pay for the fence myself, lol)

My current favorite coins are Walking Liberty halfs, Winged Liberty (Mercury) dimes and anything that I can get at a price discounted to it's 'true value' (like the 1864 Indian cent that I bought raw for $27-$30 and it came back AU58 with a value of $150+...plus it's a great looking coin).

Stevearino, mikenoodle and Nyatii like this.
  14. odinsruleg8

odinsruleg8 Active Member

Good health, good folk, and good coin hunting for next year..I like Jefferson nickels.Liberty walking halves, and commemoratives..and hope to start investing in to gold coins..Thanks and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!!!

mikenoodle likes this.
  15. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Personally I'd love to further my career in the automotive industry.

And numismatically I'd love to get more Morgan Dollars for my Morgan book.

Thanks for holding this contest! :)

mikenoodle likes this.
  16. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Thank you for the contest and Merry Christmas!

My goal for the new year will be the same as last. It's a new years resolution I used for the last few years and seems something that I will try to attain again.
    My goal is to try to live to the end of the year. If it works again, I recycle it for the year after.

The three coins: As I'm still learning about ancients and haven't settled on a particular path in collecting them, I will be general. I collect Roman, Greek, and coins of silver.

Kasia and mikenoodle like this.
  17. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my goals for next year is to plant another garden. I didn't this year and now I'm missing fresh canned tomatoes, green beans, corn etc.
    I would love to add a proof buffalo nickel and matte proof Lincoln to my collection!
    I mainly collect modern world commemoratives, maundy pennies and Latin american silver minors.

18. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

My New Years resolution is always the same Have a better year than the last. I had many good things happen this year but one rather bad thing happen so overall it was a good year. Numismatically I would like to buy another Roman Aureus and get one or more of the Greek coins I have wanted for many years. I will be at the New York International so it is likely I will solve at least some of my ambitions early in the year, but then again I may not

mikenoodle likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And I already missed out...:)

LaCointessa and Kasia like this.
  20. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

As part of my legacy I want to leave my family:
    1. Seriously begin the family history (for which I’ve collected source material for over fifty years);

2. Go through my entire coin collection in order to weed out the unwanted.

I LOVE: MS Walkers and war nickels and medieval coins of famous people in history.

Steve

LaCointessa, mikenoodle and Garlicus like this.
  21. NCnovice

NCnovice Active Member

My goals for the new year: good health for my family and I.

Favorite coins: love the Swiss francs. Might start a collection after I finish my goal of one good coin from every country listed in the standard catalog of world coins.

LaCointessa and mikenoodle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.