2009 penny errors worth much with all the different varieties?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AlexN2coins2004, Jun 11, 2009.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

so the million dollar question for 2009 is... are 2009 penny errors worth much with all the different varieties? I keep seeing formative years listed on e-bay for $10-50 dependinng on the varieties. so I wondering if this is just a way to make a quick buck and if you don't dive in now your not gonna make any money via. ripping people off by selling coins like they are valued and really they aren't. Or are we just standing in a gold mine being blinded by all the great errors we got?

Alex

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What errors are you talking about?

BTW, welcome to CoinTalk.

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

No one is being ripped off, they are bidding by their own free will and hoping that when the dust settles they will have a 1955 DD type of error. For now no one knows if these will be "significant".

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The varieties found in the 2009 LP2 mint rolls are still "hunting" their price and numismatic values. Some important factors are:

__The strength of each doubled die.

__The numbers of each variety produced ( never know for sure, but one can estimate by the numbers found by searchers. If none are found in general circulation and only in the mint rolls, it would be easier to estimate.

__Whether PCGS or NCG recognizes a certain variety ( Biggie for monetary angle)

__Whether the general collector wants them also ( has to have an interesting nicknames like some of the other series.

Just because collectors may recognize a variety, if the major TPGs don't label them, the value is very minimized. The people selling on Ebay are hoping they are very common and TPGs won't label them, so they won't feel the pain if they go for many times the amount if the opposite occurs.

Jim

6. HOBBY61

HOBBY61 Senior Member

2009 P formative cent: double die on reverse, the left THUMB and FINGER holding the book.

7. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

The only error that I know about is on LP2, the doubling on Lincoln's left thumb. I have not seen any thing offical on it just what is on ebay. Most of the hype is that they are new and were hard to find at first, but as always that will fix itself.

8. Razor

Razor Senior Member

The thing is there are several distinct errors being reported on the LP2 reverse. Double thumb. Double index finger. Double thumb and index finger. Last I checked there were about 4 distinct varieties. Ultimately it will come down to how rare or scarce they are. I agree that the price is "hunting" its level right now. Nobody knows yet how it will all play out. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

9. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

IMO, If I can't see the error with the naked eye and without studying the coin for 45 minutes, then it just doesn't interest me.

joecoincollect likes this.
  10. HOBBY61

HOBBY61 Senior Member

From Mint News Blog
    2009 Formative Years Lincoln Cent Doubled Dies
    Posted: 08 Jun 2009 03:29 PM PDT
    Several collectors have identified doubled die varieties for the 2009 Lincoln Cent Formative Years design. The story made the front page of this week's issue of Coin World, which describes four different doubled die reverse varieties.

The doubling occurs on the reverse of the coin, around the area of Lincoln's hand, which holds the book. The first variety shows a completely separate "extra finger" between Lincoln's thumb and index finger. This one is the most visually dramatic and might get the most attention. The second variety shows doubling on Lincoln's thumb. The third shows an "extra thumb" just above Lincoln's index finger. The fourth variety shows an extra finger just below the thumb, but not as dramatically as the first variety.

The rarity of these Doubled Die Formative Years Cents still remains to be seen, but there are already over 100 listings on eBay. Earlier completed auctions show the coins selling for $20-$30, but the influx of new listings following the Coin World coverage might drive prices down.

Last week, I had opened one of my 2009 Lincoln Cents Formative Years Two Roll Sets before news of the doubled dies became more widespread. I had come across two coins with a significant die crack on the reverse that extended from the rim, almost all the way through Lincoln's head. I also found two coins that were higher grade. I put these few examples aside and put the remaining coins in a plastic tube.

After seeing the reports of the doubled dies, I went back through the Philadelphia roll and found at least one example of what appears to be the third variety with an "extra thumb." The images below show the coin with the doubling compared to a regular coin.
    My pictures are not the best since I only have a scanner. Clearer images can be seen in Coin World's article, or on this page from DoubledDie.com.

Has anyone else found doubled dies? You can describe your finds in the comments, or post pictures over on Coin Network.

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Thanks, Hobby. I don't follow these coins and had not heard of the error.

12. grizz

grizz numismatist

13. y2kkoinking

y2kkoinking New Member

Formative years WDDR-043 ms 63

ICG graded PA160010.jpg ive got about 85 dollars with grading and buying so its worth at least that

14. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

how does this thread have nearly 4000 views and no replies?

15. Joseph Csendes

Joseph Csendes New Member

I have this penny which appears to have a backward and upside down 4, any idea of whether or not it is a rare error, or just error?[​IMG]

16. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

This appears to be post mint damage of some kind. Poor coin has lived a tough life...

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Agreed. Damaged. Not an error.

18. Raven Horse

Raven Horse Member

I just checked out Wexlers "Formative Years" and was wondering if it takes all the 'stages' to be a collectable or just various ones?

19. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I think their value is rather minimal and will stay that way. As someone said, if you can barely see it with the naked eye, or cant at all, that's not good. If you look at more obvious errors, like the 1955 DDO, then you will appreciate and better understand its value. Of course rarity is key, but i think visability is a factor you shouldnt overlook.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  20. steve505

steve505 New Member

I have LP two mint rolls in the box with three different dates. Anyone know which of the release dates the bootstrap error would most likely be found in?

21. Brad Hanscom

Brad Hanscom New Member

I recently found a VERY NICE 2009 formative years coin while coin roll hunting.I'm fairly new at coin collecting but it has the double thumb,extra finger between thumb and index,has a die crack on the pages of the book,has die crack going from eyebrow to top of head,and die gouges on the head .does anyone know if this is rare or just another

Draft saved Draft deleted