2009 Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ruben, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Ruben

Ruben Member

I have had no luck finding a 2009 nickel in circulation / roll searching.
    What is image on the obverse ? Same as the last few years, or is the mint reverting to the original Jefferson portrayal ? Just curious :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

im petty sure they are keeping that portrait

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

With everyone cashing in their change this year, you may be waiting longer this year to see many of the '09 coins in circulation. I bet the mintages will even be down a bit this year for most series.

5. Ruben

Ruben Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought I read somewhere that the mint was going to go back to the original Jefferson likeness, but not really sure. Are they going to stick with the current version ??

I know it would probably never happen, but I would love to see the reverse replaced with the buffalo image from the 2005 coin. I'm just not too fond of buildings on coins. Actually, if they must keep Jefferson on the front, I prefer the 2005 (facing rt) version also.

Any other opinions ??

6. coinbuff

coinbuff Senior Member

I'm with you on the obverse Ruben, but I have to say I prefer the Monticello reverse. I think of it as a part of Jefferson's legacy. :smile

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I think we're stuck with that 3/4 view of jefferson for a while. If it were up to me we'd scrap all the current designs and have a re-do.

8. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

same here.

9. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I like the originally intended design of Monticello and hope they switch to it soon.

10. Ruben

Ruben Member

Yes, I like that one also; it is a more interesting perspective than the current head-on view.

11. ericl

ericl Senior Member

The lewis-and-clark nickel bill was written by Virigians to keep Jefferson and Montecello there forever because it helps tourism.

12. AUBU2

AUBU2 Senior Member

Changing the Nickel?

I would'nt change the design, but i would change the metal composition of the proof nickel in the silver proof sets. I think Canada puts 90% silver in their proof set nickels. I think a proof silver nickel would make the silver proof sets much more desirable to collectors.

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The should have kept the close up Jefferson just before it although frankly, the whole series should be rethought and they can try something other than a portrait of a historical figure.

I'd like to see a Ruby Throated Humming bird on a Nickel.

Ruben

14. AUBU2

AUBU2 Senior Member

Canada has a colorized coin containing a ruby throated humming bird along with many others(nuthatch, ect.). i've never seen one in person, only pictures of the coins. I also think they might be dollar sized coins.

15. quartertapper

You've read my mind. Now it's the mint's turn!

16. quartertapper

I'm actually fond of the beaver on the Canadian nickels. I bet Jefferson liked beavers, he had to have! I mean really, who doesn't?

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I had a proposed Beaver design somewhere on my hard drive...

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

19. quartertapper

I think we're on to something!

20. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

I haven't actually seen any 2008 Nickels. Years down the road???

21. Todd Volker

Todd Volker Member

Most sensible thing I've heard in a long time.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted