2009 Gold Proof Buffs

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Oct 7, 2009.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Who thinks sales of 2009 Gold Proof Buffs will be...

1) Brisk due to investment interest in gold and anticipation of a low mintage...or

2) Stagnate due to rapidly increasing gold prices and competition with the UHR.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Tom, Good question. I personally hope that it will be stagnate so that those of us who can sell all that we own to buy this coin will be greatly rewarded years down the road like those who bought the fractional buffs last year. I have mixed feeling right now and don't know how I will feel until I have one in hand.

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

5. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

6. Argento

Argento Perplexed

I am going to venture a guess and say option #1. My thinking is that there will be a perception that the 2009 Buff may be a limited mintage due to it only being available for the last two months of the year. That perception should exist in the short-term regardless of how long the '09 Buffalo is ultimately on sale. Could provide for some exciting early plays in the First Strike business similar to the UHR, though nowhere near as dramatic.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

I hope for #2 but know better that it will be #1.

I just want a shot at one '09 Proof Buffalo for my collection. I don't need '09 AGEs but can see potential in the tentative 09 AGE fractional bullion mintages. Additionally, I ordered a UHR this week before the price increase and since I'm not going to get any PR ASEs, I'm ready to wrangle a Proof Buffalo.

8. Argento

Argento Perplexed

I also look forward to this thread being the home of much speculation on how slow the Mint's website is going to be, how slow the Mint's website actually is when it goes on sale, how long we all have to wait for our orders, pics of the first ones to be received...the works.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

I look forward to a dozen such new threads to be started with titles that give no idea what the thread is about. It's the CT way!

10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

4 things I love......:hug:

1. Ordering day and sharing order #s. :hammer:
    2. Getting them in your house safely.:hail:
    3. Getting your grades back.:D
    4. Being one of the first to get yours up on Feebay.:bigeyes:

#4 has never happened to me........yet...:kewl:

11. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Good posts! Brings back all of those UHR memories.

I'll say #1. The AGE Proof collectors that didn't collect the Buff Proofs too will now start collecting Buffs. They probably had money put back to buy the AGE, now it will go towards the Buff.

I can also see the possibility that all will be afraid they will have short supply and order early so they don't miss out. Mint troubles could be almost as bad as with the UHR.

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I was thinking #1 also...but the UHR and FS coins have me just about tapped out. With Christmas coming up, I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing a Proof Buff before the end of the year.

Does anyone know if the Mint's gonna sell the 2009 Proof Buffs for a full 12 months?

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Hey, Yakpoo brought this interesting point up to me yesterday, but has anybody heard about how long they will sell the 09 ABG? If the coin becomes available at the end of October, does this mean that you have until December 31st to buy the coin? How about the bullion version as well. Any thoughts? I have been able to find anything about this online yet.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

A speculative response only

I've wondered about the details of how this will work this year too since the announcement of their sale was made and given the point in the year when these coins will become available. I'd like to think that they would only sell them during 2009, but nothing stops the Mint from rewriting or defining the rules is there? anything in the coin legislation to prevent this? I suppose they could leave all their coins that do not fully sell out on sale indefinitely but I'd bet that hurts sales and is havoc on inventory. I think it's more probably that they stop selling '09 coins at the end of the year and make way for next years product campaigns to launch, while liquidating the previous years inventory at priced-to-move offers to dealers. That or they reduce premiums and sell them at Mint tables in coin shows. I don't know but I don't think the Mint sends their produced coins back to melt, to reinvest in next years production.

15. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

for buffalo proof one ounce gold. my guess is 50,000 pc and the mint might immediately declare sell out. sorry the late comer.

16. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

This is an important detail. This will determine whether many will wait until the price of gold drops or buy now. There is no mintage limit for these coins, so the numbers will be set by the number of collectors who buy them and this is one of those coins that could either be a big hit or a big bust depending on demand.

17. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

mintage for am buffalo one ounce gold proof:

2006w - 252,000 cdn bid 1,100.00 ask 1,140.00
    2007w ---60,000 cdn bid 1,100.00 ask 1,140.00
    2008w ---19,591 cdn bid 1,900.00 ask 2,025.00
    2009w ---??????

it look like 09w will be just like 06w and 07w. bullion value

18. Argento

Argento Perplexed

This is going to be an especially sketchy purchase from an investor's perspective. Could the perception of lower demand (due to high gold prices) drive speculative buying on the hope of low mintage? Could the specter of a shorter mintage period drive buying on the hope of low mintage? Could the Mint have plenty of blanks in reserve to mint to demand? Will the Mint follow recent patterns of allowing early sell outs despite demand?

No announced ordering limits probably means no ordering limits at all. Lots of dealer money had probably been sitting in wait for the 09-W releases so, with only the Buff and Plat being released, will a small number of dealers try and corner the market?

Lots of unanswered questions. What is certain to me at this point is that buying this Buff on speculation is a gamble at best. It's certainly not gonna be the free money that the UHR was.

19. Danr

Danr Numismatist

They are pretty unpredictable, these may stay on sale until 2011

20. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Wait a couple of weeks and see how sales are.

21. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

I'm leaning more towards low production like in 2009. If they have a big enough supply to produce buffalo proof coins like bullion coins, then why would they omit 2009 AGE proof production, completely skipping a year for the most popular collected gold coin? Am I wrong?
    Chuck

Draft saved Draft deleted