2009 braille silver commemorative dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by elaine 1970, Mar 4, 2009.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

this 2009 braille silver commemorative dollar will be offered by the mint on mar 26,2009. i think it will be less mintage than the 2009 lincoln silver commemorative dollar. but this does not proof braille dollar will be more valuable than lincoln dollar. what you think?. will you buy it?.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Todd Volker

Todd Volker Member

This sounds harsh, but I just couldn't care less, almost. Just not an interesting subject to me. I'm not up for it.

4. Luis

Luis Senior Member

I will buy the uncirculated version.

5. Plyngntrffc

Plyngntrffc New Member

If your collecting all the commerative dollars...then why not...it's an itneresting design...less mintage like you said...and sure he didnt end slavery but helped millions of blind people to be able to read...
    Braille_Unc_obv.jpg

Braille_Unc_rev.jpg

Braille_Proof_obv.jpg

Braille_Proof_rev.jpg

6. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes yes yes

7. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Yeah Ill get some. The design is kinda ugly but whatever. :eek:

8. bonas92

bonas92 Member

I am getting the proof.

9. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I'll pass..................:eating:

10. elaine 1970

braille dollar might better investment than lincoln.

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Commemorative coins should never be considered investments. I know what you mean though Elaine, but I stopped thinking that way over a year ago. Now I just buy what I like without reguard to what it may be worth in the future. On occassion though, if a coin that I may not have bought otherwise is brought to my attention that it may be worth something, then I may just get it. For example, this coin in my signiture line was one of those coins.

12. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Yes. The first US coin with braille writing on it. Definitely.

Bruce

13. hfd12316

hfd12316 Senior Member

I always buy proof and uncirc. when they come out. You never know. Wasn't there braille on one of the State Quarters? I believe this coin is the first with "readable" braille characters.

14. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Nope, it's actually the second. First would be the 2003 Alabama quarter; there is braille on the reverse of that one, above Hellen Keller.

The braille on that one is extremely tiny though so it would be difficult to actually "read." The braille on the Braille comem could definitely be read by a blind person, though only if you took it out of its plastic capsule (and didn't mind them running their fingers across the surface of it!).

15. elaine 1970

will buy some. i still think better than lincoln for price appreciation.

16. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I'll buy at least one. What the heck... it's only money.

17. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

I don't think it will appreciate much.

Sure, the mintage will be low but thats because there is no demand. Demand drives up prices. This will linger at issue price for decades.

18. coinbuff

coinbuff Senior Member

On the lighter side...

On the lighter side - that image of the proof on the first page of this thread kinda makes Mr. Braille look a little "Howdy Doodyish", ya think?
    :D

19. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

You should have seen the artist sketch a few months before it was released. Mr. Braile looked under the influence! I'm glad someone noticed before it hit production.;)

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya know, now that you mention it......

I'll get one of each (proof & unc.), just love modern commems.....:D

21. elaine 1970

just buy one each at least for proof and uncirculated to complete the set.

Draft saved Draft deleted