2007-W Platinum

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ALF, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ALF

ALF Member

What do you think the mintages for the 2007-W platinum are going to be? Higher or lower than last year? Do you think it will also rise in value like last year's set? Man I wish I could turn back the hands of time!:smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

The tenth ounce burnished is already up to about 3200 sold so last years should be the key with seven months left of sales. I think the mintages will be about 50% higher than last year but the proof may come in about the same.

4. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

Where can I find this info and keep up with it throughout the year.

Personally I think the investor bullion 1/10 may be key with 2000 minted so far and having the w unc. to compete with it. The 1/10 is bought by collectors and most will likely buy direct from the mint whereas investors are buying 1/2 and 1oz bullion.

5. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Hi, Numismatic news and the mint website have a lot of the updated numbers, you can use those to see what is happening.

As far as the bullion coins go if you look up sales you will see the mint cranks out a lot of coins in November and december every year so i doubt the 2000 figure holds up for very long. I think the bullion will have to come in below 5000 on the 1/10 before it may be considered key but that is just my take on it. With the higher bullion prices though i think mintages and sales will drop. I'm just not sure this is the bottom and the time to jump in.

Last year it was obvious with the 2006 W UNC as they were lower than 5000 and also unique with the changing reverse. The bullion have the same design and long-term that may prevent them from being more than bullion prices unless the sales drop off a cliff.

6. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Soi far the couple of 2007 W platinum I have received have not been minted well. One had flaking, another had massive rim scratches. It looks like this may be a harder year with grading for these issues.

7. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

I got rid of all my Platinum coins about a month ago. Not a good market for them even with low mintages:eek:

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

You know, I think Centdime is on to something here. The 2006 "W" uncirc was a surprise in late 2006.
    Most everyone one did not realize this until it was too late! With plenty of time and unlimited mintage on the coins, I stand by Centdime on the fact that the 2006 "W" uncirc will be the key for this new issue from the Mint.

Hold em if ya got em...enjoy the ride! :hug:

RickieB :D

Draft saved Draft deleted