2007 Montana state quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by crusch, May 7, 2007.

1. crusch

crusch New Member

i found this quarter this morning........it was given to me at work and sounded different when thrown in the cash drawer. it sounded like a silver coin so after the guy left i looked to see what i had found. there was nothing different about the stateside, is perfectly normal, but when i turned it over WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Score 1 for an ameture coin collector. this quarter has no nickel (silver color) on the face side. it apears to be just a tiny bit thinner than a normal quarter. The coin has not been dipped or had the color worn off, it is in near mint condition, having only been out for a few months. my wife and i operate 2 small convience stores, while we find older coins on an almost daily basis this is a first Any ideas? thx kc

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

you might need to post pics for us to get an idea ... take a side shot as well ...

4. crusch

crusch New Member

ok, will try

5. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

It might be a silver proof??

6. Topher

Topher New Member

Sounds like it's missing the clad layer to me. We'll wait until you can post pics. As Daggarjon pointed out. Make sure you get pics of the side as well.

7. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

If one side is the normal color and the other side a copper color, then it's probably missing a clad layer. A Montana quarter with this error should be worth between $300 and $400 in uncirculated condition.

8. crusch

crusch New Member

Quarter

A photographer I am not......!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

• qtr1.JPG
      qtr1.JPG
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
    • qtr3.JPG
      qtr3.JPG
      File size:
      57.3 KB
      Views:
    • qtr2.JPG
      qtr2.JPG
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
    • qtr4.JPG
      qtr4.JPG
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  9. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Looks like you are one lucky duck! Awesome Find!

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

roflmao .. no worries mate.. alot of us are in the same boat!!! :)

hopefully some of the error experts will be around to post their thoughts...

11. crusch

crusch New Member

ya, i hope im lucky

12. crusch

crusch New Member

what is the best way tp preserve its condition?

13. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Start by keeping your cotton-picking sweaty fingers off of it! ;)

A 2x2, an airtite, a cointain capsule, or any of the multitude of other coin-keepers you'll find listed at any coin supply website - except a non-safety flip, containing PVC, will do the job.

14. serpent

serpent Junior Member

Hard to tell because of lighting, but, does it have no reeding on edge. Curious, cann't tell for sure from pics.

15. crusch

crusch New Member

reeding? Not sure what you mean. The edge is solid copper color, unlike a normal quarter that is 1/2 copper 1/2 silver color.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Reeding is the little lines around the edge of the coin. They were origianlly placed there to prevent people from shaving off some of the silver (or gold) from the coin and then recirculating it, and make a profit on the bits of silver and gold.

Also, As Roy said, keep your hands off of the coin, especially the obverse & reverse.

17. crusch

crusch New Member

Ok, Thanks for the information, that's interesting, I am a novice and am happy to learn!.....Yes, the quarter does have reeding on the edge. Can I ask what difference it makes to a coin if it doesn't have this reeding on the edge?, just out of curiosity. Thanks

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

crusch:
    Well, with the reeding you know that it hasn't been 'played with' (read: damaged, outside the mint).
    Without the reeding it could still be a ligit mint error, but there may be other factors such as post mint damage that come into play.

19. crusch

crusch New Member

Just wondering where a person would take a coin like this to get an "expert" opinion?

20. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

21. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Nice coin. I need ti find me one of those. Preferably in a unc roll. Good work noticing the sound difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted