2007 Gold Coin Purchase

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by utahluge, Jan 19, 2009.

1. utahluge

utahluge Junior Member

Hey all,
    I am looking for a little help with a 2007 Gold Coin purchase. I have a daughter that was born in 2007 (and one very very soon) so I am wanting to get their birth year in gold coins. I have no idea where to start and what to do. My first thought was to get them from the bank...but I was hoping to get uncirculated. Would they be able to get some 2007's from a government vault that havn't been released? Also, would it be best to send them in for immediate appraisal and get them sonicly (?) sealed?

I really want it to be nice so when my daughters are older they have something nice to hang onto.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Banks don't sell gold coins. If you want a new one, you can get that from the US Mint. For a 2007 a coin dealer is your best bet.

Storage in an Air-Tite (brand name) coin holder would be best. Getting bullion coins slabbed is not worth the money.

4. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

Utahluge,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with GDJMSP. Your best bet is to buy a 2007 gold coin from a coin dealer.

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

try to buy 2006w, 2007w and 2008w unc gold coins. a little bit expensive but it is worthy. someday it should be rewarded. try the fractional such as 1/2 and 1/4 ounce. cause the mint stop issue them.

6. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

What size coin do you want to buy and what do you want them to ultimately do with it?

If you buy the 1 ounce gold eagle from 2007 and 2009, you'll spend about $1800 given the current spot prices.

If you can't afford that, I might suggest you look into the 1/10 ounce size. They should be available for $300ish. With the 1/10 size you have a lot of choices. You can have a pendant or ring made. This way, they would have an awesome keepsake that they can carry with them for all their lives. If you buy the big 1 ounce coin, it will most likely stay in a drawer.

7. utahluge

utahluge Junior Member

Ultimately they would do whatever they want with them but it would be nice if they held onto them. I like the idea of a pendant or something. I have seen a necklace that opens up and you can put whatever coin (of a certain size) into it.

8. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

the 1/10 ounce gold bullion. you can buy it below $100.00. the bullion value of 1/10 is $83.50. and the mint produced a lot of them. why buy them for $300.00 plus.

9. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

2007s are much cheaper than that.

10. MattMpls

MattMpls Member

You may also want to look at the $5 gold commems for the year. I believe 2007 was the Jamestown coin. It has the weight/content of a traditional $5 gold coin and a nice display box. $225-$300 should bring a proof coin home.

Draft saved Draft deleted