2006-W American Silver Eagle Unc.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Feb 6, 2010.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hey has anyone noticed that this first "W" issue ASE coin is in high demand and the price just keeps creeping upward? Anyone?

There's only gonna be 3 of these "W" silver dollars years so I wonder if the only one that will climb in price is the 2006? Low mintage for this year, something less that 250 thousand, is that count correct? The 2007-W is down flat and I haven't checked on the 2008-W price. Anyone have a 2006-W?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

Are these really that rare that nobody on here has them?

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

2006w ASE unc - 496,200
    2007w ASE unc - 555,998
    2008w ASE unc - 543,454

1995w ASE proof - 30,102 (that is the rarest).
    2006w ASE proof reverse - 250,000

5. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

I have several but I do not think they are rare. The mint suspended the production of these coins last year but who know what the mint is going to do this year.

6. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I have either 3 or 5 of these, can't remember. I haven't looked at them in years. What is the current price?

7. pale ridder

pale ridder Junior Member

How do i tell if the 2006 ASE are the kind you are talking about? I have 2 rolls of them are they worth more then the run of the mill ASE? if so why?

8. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

2006w ASE unc - 496,200 - $75.00
    2007w ASE unc - 555,998 - $21.00
    2008w ASE unc - 543,454 - $32.00
    2008w/7 ASE unc - 46,318 - $400.00

initial mint price:
    2006w - $19.95
    2007w - $21.95
    2008w - $25.95

9. fretboard

The reverse has a "W" to indicate that it was minted in West Point. Currently Apmex sells them for $74.99. I don't know how much they were in 2006 but I wish I would have gotten a few back then.

10. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

If I remember right the whole set was about $100. I didn't buy them individually or even know if they were sold individually so I can't say what they cost each. I remember people saying the the 2006-W uncir would be the valuable one over time but I don't remember the reasons for it's value over the reverse and the proof. More collectors of the uncir's maybe?

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I paid $19.95 for this issue back in September of 2006. Bought three, wish I would have picked up five. Demand for these coins quickly shot up as the mint suspended production shortly after I ordered them. I remember them selling for well over $100 and then settling in the $90 range. Ampex has 'em for $75? I think the price of these will come down a bit more.....lots produced as Elaine indicates.

12. In 2006 the mint came out with the 20th anniversary set which included the following:

2006 W Burnished
    2006 W Proof
    2006 W Reverse Proof

Came out with the 2007 W Burnished and 2008 W Burnished coins, are these the coins you are referring to?

13. fishinfool

fishinfool New Member

I had a similar question and rather than start a new thread I decided to bump this one. I have a 2006-w uncirculated ASE that I recently paid just over spot for, my goal is for investing purposes. Would i be better off selling and taking the funds i get from the sale into a few ounces of .999 silver bars or less rare ASE's if my only goal is long term profits?

14. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

About a week ago I bought the 2007 and 2008 for a little over $40 with shipping. Can't seem to locate the 2006 for a decent price so I'll wait until opportunity knocks, and hope I answer the door.

15. fretboard

Yes. If you're simply acquiring silver for investment purposes then it shouldn't matter which ASE you have. Sell it to someone who really wants one for what it is. Funny seeing this old thread. :D

I took an annual set to my coin club once and nobody knew anything about them. The Mint put out a ton of them so they're certainly not rare but they are different. I still have my 07 and 08 but I think I sold my 2006. Beautiful coins.:thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Sets-2008...39?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3cc7565b67

16. PeacePeople

One other thing, Apmex has the 07 for $40 and change right now plus shipping and last I checked were out of the 08 and 06. The mint site still has the 2011 for $45.95 and I'm going to buy 5 of them for $40/each plus shipping if all goes well. They're a nice coin, but take them out of the box every once in a while, the last couple I got were a beast to get out of the felt or flocked plastic insert. It's also cool how the insert has a groove to set them in for photography. (if you're into that)

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I noticed mine was stolem

18. green18

So that's what that blasted thing's for. I never knew that.......:)

19. PeacePeople

Maybe not for photos, but for displaying the coin.

20. athrose

athrose Member

"W" mint marker coins

This is an interesting subject that I've often thought about writing about so thanks for the opportunity. Eric Jordan, author of Modern Commemorative Coins, makes the case in his book that "W" mintmarked silver eagles are "badly unvalued". He states that "The "W" silver eagles are the keys to a 200 million and growing total population and have lower mintages than the surviving common date CC (Carson City) dollars and don't cost anything like the $200 each yet". So how do you guys feels about this line of thinking? Can coins in these quantities really be viewed as "keys"?

Thanks

21. green18

In about 100 years.........

Draft saved Draft deleted