2005 dime half copper

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by chechem84, Jun 29, 2008.

1. chechem84

chechem84 Junior Member

Hello,

I have a 2005 dime that is 1.9 grams in weight and is in good condition. One side is a regular dime on the head and the tails side is stamped in copper. Is this worth anything?

Thanks,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy chechem - Welcome to the Forum !!

Yes, it probably is. How much it is worth would depend largely on the condition/grade of the coin. Can you post a picture ?

4. bjv

bjv New Member

i have a 2005 dime that is copper on the face side and a regular dime on the back, what's it worth.
    back of coin.jpg face of coin.jpg

5. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Sounds like your coin may be missing it's clad layering on the reverse... But, without some photos, we're not going to jump to any conclusions.

-Brian

6. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

Photos please.

7. bjv, it just looks like it's been circulated, maybe has dirt/obverse layer removed by chemicals. I'd throw it in your piggy bank

8. bjv

bjv New Member

coin compare

i am providing a picture of two dimes, one with the coper face on the left, the other one a regular dime. coin compair.jpg

9. bjv

bjv New Member

More information

i am providing a picture of two dimes, one with the copper face on the left, the other one a regular dime. View attachment 162782 .

The face of the dime is very shiny, looks like a new penny.

10. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

It does look like an unplated side dime.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I can't make a definite conclusion, but I'd put money on PMD.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  12. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Wow this thread came up from a while ago.

13. bjv

bjv New Member

yes i know, I wanted to check if something was posted before I started a new thread. I found chechem84 to be similar.

14. bjv

bjv New Member

Does anyone know who I can take it to in Virginia?

15. bjv

bjv New Member

I'm not a collector, but if it is PMD or has beendoctored, they did an excellent job. I've look at it under a magnified glassand it has little or no damage.

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It looks like many dimes I've found metal detecting. Could it be a mint error? Eh, maybe... But I doubt it. It may not have been buried, since it's only the obverse of the coin, but I've also seen dimes like that roll searching. I'd still say PMD.
    If you hear hoofbeats, think Horse, not Zebra.

17. bjv

bjv New Member

Thanks u been at this awhile. You are most likely right.

18. bjv

bjv New Member

You are most likely right, who wouldn’t like to fine buriedtreasure. The one on the left is the one that has thecopper front. My Camera phone does notdo this coin justice.
    back side of coins.jpg

19. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I think horse only because this is what the Zebra is doing:
    [​IMG]

20. merasmag

merasmag New Member

HI-
    I got a dime in my change today that is very strange. I noticed it immediately because the outside is all smooth raised copper(?). By that I mean the edge is raised front and back all the way around at least 1/32 of an inch front and back in copper. I doubt this was done on purpose. Any thoughts? I'm pretty sure it's a 2005D, however the copper partially obscures the last number.
    thanx

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Welcome to Coin Talk! And in "our" context, PMD means post mint damage. That is, the error was not made by/at the mint but added later.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted