2005 Buffalo Nickel Potential?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by drddm, May 24, 2005.

1. drddm

drddm New Member

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any idea as to which 2005 Buffalo Nickel (P or D mint) rolls might be worth (or selling for) more once production stops on these coins and why you think this way.

Also, if anyone has any theories (or actually knows) as to why the 2004 (P mint) Peace Medal nickel is selling for almost three times as much as the 2004 D Peace Medal nickel, I would be very interested.

Thanks to all who reply,
    Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I think the reason the 2004 nickels are so high is because so many non collectors who "think" they are rare (they don't know how many billion or million there are) are paying any price to get them...they will hold on to them for a few years and then try to resell them for more than they paid...then they will learn that they are only worth 5 cents...its nuts to me but people will pay the $20 to get a P and D roll of the Peace Nickels.....

I think that the Buffs will also only be worth 5 cents each...I know some that disagree with me--but yes...I think they will go some...but they will come down too.

Speedy

4. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Again I must respond Speedy! First your collecting age, experience and wisdom comes in to play here. You really need to consider all of the above before offering advise to new collectors, old collectors or just the curious that will stop by here with a question! While I respect your opinion you really need to open up your eyes and ears to ALL the collecting possibilities around you. As I have said before there are WAY to many naysayers in many of the forums that are serving up a defeatist attitude which is in no way good for the hobby!
    You keep referring to millions or billions each time the buffalo nickel is brought up? Young man how many Morgan dollars were struck? What is the worth of all those millions and millions today? I bought one just last Saturday for $145! Was that a good buy? Can you tell me how much on average the Morgans have risen in the last 5 years? Ten years? Twenty years?
    How about the buffalo nickels? The classics, 1913 - 1938, have they risen in value? You must keep in mind, that most of us are LONG term collectors and it is not about the purchase price or about the price next year. Basically it is about the joy of collecting and filling a set. We all DREAM of our coins increasing in value and I for one have NEVER seen a one time, six month issue of anything that DID NOT increase in value. These buffalo nickels are being HOARDED beyond belief by everyone, not just collectors, and most folks WILL NOT give them up for years to come. What will it take to get them, in rolls or unc., back on the market? Now I just answered your question as to why the Peace Medal P nickels are now $16.00 a roll. It is not ever really how many of anything was minted or made, it is how many are in demand and available at any given time! Get used to it as that is the way it is and will continue to be. Supply and demand determines prices, not mintages.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

crystalk -

All I can say is this - the mint has sold over 80 million of the new buffs to collectors/dealers alone. That's 80 million unc examples that have been stashed away or already sold 3 or 4 times to other collectors. And that doesn't count those unc examples obtained at banks.

And every time in the past that huge quantities of of a given coin have been stashed away like this - they never really amount to much value wise - even a hundred years later.

Now I'll be the first to admit that they are selling for premiums now - right now. And if I wanted to make any money on these coins - NOW is when I'd be doing it. But that's just my personal opinion - I guess history will tell.

6. nds76

nds76 New Member

I've only got 2 of these in my pocket change! These are pretty scarce to find in circulation. So I would imagine demand for these to still be high.

David

7. line_grade

line_grade Member

Why anything sells for what it does is a function of demand not the supply. The mintage figures for the two different mint strikes of the peace medal nickel are approximately the same and one would think that the price would reflect that, however, the demand and availablility of one mint over the other based on demand is the logical reason for the difference in pricing. The buffalo nickel production figures are not final yet so how it stands up for potential price increase is still to be seen. I believe the first and the last of anything is a good thing to have from a collectors viewpoint, however, having said that, my stash of 1964 Kennedy halves are barely worth the melt value in todays market and folks lined up at the doors of banks to get them when first released; go figure. However, as a collector, I just love having the coins and the same for the new nickel. The obverse is the attraction for me on this new coin not the reverse. In my opinion the new nickels will over the long term will HOLD their value. If the U S Mint continues to make changes in coin designs and stumbles on another program similar to the state quarters program to stimulate the collector base then I believe the demand for the new nickel designs and therefore the price will increase, especially for the modern coins.

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

That is one reason I only have about 5-6 Morgans in my collection...I like coins that have low mintages...or older coins in high grades...the other day I almost bid on a MS63 V nickel...

When soooo many UNC Buffs have been hoarded...IF any do go up in value it would be the cirulated one...as they would be "rare"!!!

Now Terry---that is almost what I said in another thread...why don't we let History tell us which one is (was) right...if you are the collector that has a collection that is worth billions and I have one that is worth face...I'm not going to be mad...I collected what I liked...not what people told me too...
    that is one reason I collect.

Speedy

9. cdcda

cdcda New Member

In 1976 the United States minted over 800 million bicentennial quarters in Philadelphia and more than 800 million more in Denver. Collectors and non-collectors aliked hoarded the coins. People put away rolls of uncirculated examples, and many more saved roll upon roll of coins pulled from circulation.

Thanks to the high mintage numbers, it is unlikely the circulated examples will be worth more than a quarter anytime soon. As for the uncirculated examples, they can be easily found for around .50 - 1.00 per coin.

From an investment perspective, anyone who put away circulated quarters thinking they would reap the rewards later has not only failed to make a profit, they have lost out due to inflation. Given that dealers pay very little over face value for BU bicentennial quarters, the same hold true for anyone who saved them as well.

Of course, those individuals who grabbed bicentennial quarters for part of their Washington Quarter set have not lost out at all. Instead, they have enjoyed the coin as part of a complete set. Those that saved them and have given that out to their kids or grandchildren have shared a bit of history with another generation, and possibly sparked an interest in coin collecting.

I for one suspect that 2005 nickels will never make anyone rich as an investment. Will they rise in value, sure. But much like the bicentennial quarters, the number hoarded will work against this. Luckily, the mintage is actually low in comparison and as others have pointed out - price is an issue of supply and demand. With a lot of the coins off the market, if demand stays high the price will go up as well.

10. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

crystal, the thread originator asked for opinions and Speedy gave his. This won’t be much of a forum if only the posters with the top two or three most years of experience are allowed to speak.

“Defeatist attitude” ? It doesn’t do any good to tell people that every coin is going to increase in value at 50% a year if you believe that some coins will appreciate more slowly than others. What good would it do the thread originator if Speedy replied “The sky’s the limit on the bison nickels ! You’d be a fool not to take out a second mortgage on your house and buy all you could !” It might be very rah-rah, but it wouldn’t serve the thread origintor’s interests well.

11. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

These nickels are being hoarded by everyone, collectors and non collectors. Everyone is saving some. So where will the Demand come from? New future collectors? I suspect future collectors will find ready sellers for a small premimum and holders of these nickels will see that small profit eaten away by inflation. The money is being made on these coins today(and mostly by the mint). I think Speedy is more correct than some may think.

12. rick

rick Coin Collector

crystalk,

you mentioned that people are hoarding buffalo nickels, and from what I see you are right. So they don't give them up for years to come, but they will give them up eventually. And for all those years, all those uncirculated coins will see no wear. That is not the sort of situation that seems to defend your stance...

you stated that supply and demand will determine the price, and you are mostly right. But the stance you are taking only considers demand... in situations of hoarding, supply is all clustered, and that is not an optimal situation for a stable market - that sort of formula can only spell volitile. Those coins aren't going anywhere.

13. miker

miker New Member

I believe that any of the 2005 buffalos that are in good condition will be worth money. Most of the coins that I have seen have significant bag marks an I feel that finding as MS63 or above will be a real trick. I also agree that most of the public will be disappointed in the next couple of years when their roll of buffs turns out to be worth $2.00. but time will tell.

14. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Time will tell!

15. rick

rick Coin Collector

no argument there, time will always tell.

16. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

I'll buy that, or at least a short-term lease ! :)

17. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

What about all of the 20 some variety/errors of the Bisons? These have already dramaticly increased in value.

They could make an album just for the Bison Varities.

I'll hold onto my 10 plus varieties I have found.

Plus what do I do with all of my hundreds of MS 65 and MS 66 Bisons I have stashed. I'll let my daughter deal with them in 30 years I guesss.

18. rick

rick Coin Collector

hello errorcoins,

I don't know much about these varieties, can you expand on that a little bit, or is there a resource?

19. Errorcoins

Errorcoins Senior Member

The Bisons are probably the most searched coin. Error collectors are looking for varieties and coin collectors are looking for high quality mint state coins.
    With all this searching, many varieties have come up.

Here are a few:

Speared Bison D
    Speared Bison P
    Jefferson Speared Twice
    Detached leg
    Speared Foot
    Fancy "A"
    Double Tail and Back
    Bold Bad Eye
    Hooked "E"
    Double Cuds
    Runny Nose
    "bie" Error In LIBERTY
    Many Die fills
    Many Die cracks
    Many Cud Varieties
    Many I've missed

Plus many, many, more to come with all the searching.

This is fun!!!!!! I never imagined I'd be collecting 2005 varieties.

20. BWJR

BWJR Senior Member

Buffalo nickels

The P rolls have more opportunities for die cracks for the Peace nickel.. I believe many have been found based on an article written in the coin news. That alone raises the speculation price, which may or may not hold up.

BWJR

21. Spider

Spider ~

hey I know all u guys are waiting for my opinion here ;);)

Think about it.
    1000 nickels for 90 bucks
    90 divided by 1000 equals 9 cents each

if each nickel sells for lets say 15 cents each, and u sell all of them. Your profit equals $60 total

I dont know it thats a big enough profit for some of u, but it is to me, especially the higher grades will even sell for more

Draft saved Draft deleted