2005 Bison nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jeff, Jan 27, 2005.

1. jeff

jeff New Member

okay -whose excited about this one? I think this coin will rival the state quarters in collectiblity.

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

Well if this is any indicator, I have never bought rolls or bags from the mint, but I'm waiting for Feb. 28th like a kid waiting for Christmas!! :D

4. jeff

jeff New Member

Yep, you and me both :)

5. cholmes75

cholmes75 New Member

I'd be curious to see what this does for the Buffalo nickel (original) market.

6. jeff

jeff New Member

That's a good question. The buffalo nickel has always been one of my favorite coins.

7. BWJR

BWJR Senior Member

Don't advertise too much

The more we talk about it, the greater the mintage. Higher mintage means less value. Keep it quiet guys and gals. ha ha!

BWJR

8. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

It doesn't matter how many buffalo nickels are minted, in my opinion, very few will ever circulate! It will be like squirrels gathering nuts for the winter and what ever does make it to the banks will be hoarded by the rolls. A lot will depend on where you live and what major banks are in the area. Living in a rural area will almost guarantee you these will not be seen for quite some time unless you order from the mint, buy from a dealer or have real good connections with someone at a larger bank. I have seen less than 10 each of the 2004 nickels reach my pocket change. This could be interesting as these coins won't be produced longer than the 6 to 9 months as they were done in 2004. Personally, I have already placed an order with my dealer for CASES of these nickels. If nothing else I will always have something to pass on to the kids or use in a pop machine. Actually buying these is a "no brainer" as there is not much of an investment made on a roll of nickels and putting nickel rolls back isn't a strain on the old budget so what do I (we) really have to loose here?

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I don't know if it's going to affect the original Buffalo market, but I definitely think it will affect the Peace and Keelboat markets. Once people get the new Buffalo nickels, they're going to want to have complete sets including the Peace/Keelboat design IMHO

10. Kyra

Kyra New Member

Oh yeah, looking forward to this one! Gonna have to snag a roll or two, I'm sure this is gonna be a popular one with the customers!

Rachel :p

11. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I don't think they will ever go up in value because of us!!!

I mean...take some of the non collectors that will buy them and the collectors that will buy them there will be soooooo many minted that it would take a "big bang" to make them go up.
    Sorry if I sound down--yes I'll still be getting some rolls but not for investment.

Speedy

12. fjrosetti

fjrosetti Member

1950-D nickel rolls redux! Here we go again!

13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I think we're going to see some new collectors after it comes out. When people get one in change it won't matter which side they are looking at; they'll see something is different about it. I'm planning to squirrel away one of the mint's roll sets. I even have two glass mustard jars set aside and ready to go. :D

14. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Speedy, It is not how many you have or I have! It is supply and demand! The Mint makes nickels, as all coinage, for the Federal Reserve and it is called out by the same. They don't have free will when it comes to mintages but I can assure you they will see that ALL orders are filled that are placed directly with them at the $8.95 per roll set with a $4.95 shipping and handling charge. THEY CAN AND WILL FILL ALL OF THOSE ORDERS. The trick will be pulling all rolls out of circulation before the masses get their hands on them! Then you have demand and dealers LOVE demand. Just wait and see! Those uncirculated buffalo's will probably be well worth the effort in 3 to 5 years. Again, we will see!

15. coinsngolf

coinsngolf Member

Looking forward to seeing this new nickel. I will probably snag a couple of rolls from each mint but just for collecting and not as an investment. Something to pass down.
    coinsngolf
    :)

16. jeff

jeff New Member

I have to admit -this is the first coin from the Mint that I have gotten really excited about in a long time -I think because it brings back memories of my first Buffalo nickel thrill. When I was 14 or so, was cashing my paycheck from my dad with my dad at the small town bank and got back a few Buffalos. I inquired about them and the teller told me a old fellow had just cashed in about $500 worth. So, I proceeded to cash out my savings of $200 and buy a bag. I sat in the bank for hours going through them and exchanging for the next bag. MOst were worn smooth -but I have a few nice ones from 29 ago. Been collecting ever since.

17. greyfang

greyfang New Member

I love all the new coins coming from the mint, but I think so many people are saving them that they will never have any real value. But for me that makes little difference.

For me I need a 2009 wheat-back cent to get light-headed.

;-)

18. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

Make mine a business strike 2009-S V.D.B.!! :D

19. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

The new Buffalo nickel will be a very popular coin when it first makes it's appearance in February. But I will have to wait and see what kind of job they did before I make any predictions as to its being as great as the first Buffalo.
    In fact I doubt if it even comes close to matching the original Buff. :(

20. grovey

grovey New Member

I called the mint the other day.Was told the buffalos come out on 2/28/05 at noon. They are only going to offer rolls and bags..BUT in September. They are going to offer a 6 coin set, just like the last one issued. I am still going to get 2 rolls. I asked the mint if I could get a roll of "s" buffalos, I was going to make my own sets, but I was told those are only for proofs. I guess I'll have to wait...

21. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Up here in Western New York (Buffalo) I bet these coins will be extra difficult to find. These may be the first rolls I purchase from the mint or maybe I'll give Angel Mendoza a call.

Draft saved Draft deleted