2004 Jefferson Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by National dealer, Dec 16, 2003.

1. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Has the mint run out of fresh design ideas? Now that they have finally released the "new" old (Peace Medal) design, what is the common consensus? Will the search for new artist concepts help?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As the Project Coordinator for the US coinage redesign campaign - I'll take what I can get for the time being :D But if you consider what the coin is to commemorate - I find the design fitting.

As for the influx of new artists at the Mint - I sure hope it helps. But my primary concern is that it will not lead us to the design types that I personally would like to see.

I'll be the first to say that some of the older US designs - do not appeal to me AT ALL !! But many of the others I find gorgeous. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla I guess.

But what worries me the most is that with the new young artist we may end up with stuff like the proposed Cal. SQ :eek:

4. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Well said sir: I submit that any change is a positive move. We as a nation have gone too long without any form. Even our commemorative programs have taken old designs for a lack of artistic direction. I hope that the mints program will not be limited to designs on paper. We have already lost the Five Cent (Nickel) design change to Virginia. (Jefferson-Monticello returning 2006). We as collectors must direct our efforts to convincing the mint that change is a good thing. I would not mind a bad design if there was a chance for change.

5. GDJMSP

National dealer -

I am afraid it is not the Mint that we must convince for the Mint is the single most powerful & driving force that we have in the effort for design changes. The Mint is all for it.

The problem we have is that for decades now the US Secretary of the Treasury has not been doing what he/she is allowed to do by law. That is to change the design of US coinage that has been in use for 25 yrs or more. He does not need anyone's permission to do this - he can just simply do it. Even the Supreme Court cannot overule his decision on such a matter. The problem is - he won't.

Coinage redesign has become a political football that has been handed off to Congress. Congress has no business being involved in coinage design as it is not within their purview. Only the SecTreas has the authority to change designs without a specific law that mandates a particular change or issue such as for a commem.

But because Congress has become involved in this then it is up to the people who vote Congressmen into office to convince their Congressmen to either issue a new law mandating such changes or to stay out of the process entirely and allow the SecTreas to do his job without fear of stepping on toes.

So if anyone reading this agrees and wants redesign - PLEASE tell them so !! You can do so here - Time For A Change In Our Change

6. Ben_Bovas

Ben_Bovas New Member

Following up on the suggestion I visited the "Time for a change in our change" link. Lots of cool information and links concerning a very important issue. I recommend the visit to that link.

Mr. Moderator,

Since your profile says you do not wish to receive emails through this board I will post this info here. In your list of email links to numismatic luminaries (suggested as among those to whom we should address our concerns) you have an old address for Dave Bowers. You probably know that there has been upheaval within his former organization (which bears his name and that of a former partner) and he is no longer reachable by that path. Just FYI.

Also, it seems that many of the powers that be support this notion, but no one is willing to act unilaterally, even though the SecTreas has the authority. Far better than making re-design MANDATORY every 25 years, I think we simply need to establish a TRADITION of doing so. It just seems to me to be a better approach: not requiring the Treasury Department to act within a given time. (Don't poke that bear too much!)

Having said that, I applaud your efforts. Let's get this ball off dead center and rolling downhill. I plan to write some emails. As I said on another thread, I favor obverses with allegorical designs depicting Liberty rather than flawed, deceased, historical figures.

7. GDJMSP

Ben - Mr. Moderator is bit much :D I'm just here to help Peter out now n then. But I do appreciate the gesture ! However - please just call me GD or Doug ( that's the name I go by ) if you prefer ;)

As for my email - you can send me an email any time - gdjmsp@qwest.net The whole world has it anyway :eek:

Not sure why you thought my email was not available. I just checked my Profile and it says it is :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted