2003 Arkansas P-Minted State Quarter:Is This The Holy Grail ??? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MWR961, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MWR961

MWR961 New Member

Is This The Holy Grail Of Quarters ???

Hi All, I'm new to the site and was refered here by someone I recently spoke with.They said this would be the place to come if I sought help.So I would greatly appreciate any and all help and information that you would kindly provide.Now on to the coin I would like to ask your help with.
    Sometime ago I just happened across a strange quarter in some pocket change and it has peaked my interest ever since.I almost spent the thing but noticed as I went to let it go that it was quite different from the other quarters I had in hand. It seems very much to be all silver.
    The coin is a 2003 Arkansas - P State Quarter. Becoming more curious I contacted a couple of local coin dealers and was told that the only Quarters struck in solid silver carried an S mint mark and neither had any knowledge what-so-ever about any 2003 P struck silver quarters.There is absolutely no copper showing anywhere on the coin and it looks to be in VERY near uncirculated condition.
    I ran this coin on E Bay to get some feedback and got numerous responses,including a couple that figured it may be plated,which I discarded right away as this was one of the first issues my coin dealer and I discussed.He said if this was the case the lettering and poor detail of the coin would be noticeable and this coin is struck as crisp and clean as any other coin I own.
    I've included some pictures although the details are lost in the small size. I would like to provide the link to the auction I ran which will provide much better detail of the coin and if you would like I can send even larger ones to you directly.I'd really like to figure whether this coin is just a common occurance or is it the only one known to exist and if it has any real value.
    As I stated before the coin has no copper at all showing anywhere and along the edge it has a faint raised line,similar to what you see when molding a model.Sorta like when two sides are compressed together is the best way I know to explain it.
    Could you guys PLEASE help me out on this one ??? Its got me totally baffled.
    I appreciate your time and help very much.I will now provide the link to the larger sized pictures over at E Bay and please don't laugh at the price I posted it for as this was just to draw interest so that I could gain information on the coin.
    Thanks again and here's the link:EDITED--Sorry but no self promotion.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. claw

claw Senior Member

The obverse appears to be clad, not the usual color associated with silver coins or silver proofs.Deffiniately BU or a business strike. There is no possible way of telling without more pics. Take a pic with the edge and the obverse or reverse showing. I have never heard or seen a P minted silver quarter especially a business strike.
    Probably a hoax. Maybe plated.Or edge plated or possibly painted.
    Please show more pics!
    Maybe a very rare error. But there is no way of telling without the coin in hand. Or at least more pics.
    Take some pics with the edge and both the obverse and reverse showing.
    If this is a P business strike struck on a silver planchet, there is sure more to show up.

More experienced error collectors will probably give you more accurate advice.( MORE PICS)
    MAYBE A JOKE?

Just my two cents.

CLAW

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

bring it to a dealer who does pcgs submissions and spend the $30 or so, and get a "once and for all" opinion. If it is legit you will have quite a treasure on your hands.

5. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I second the PCGS or ANACS submission.

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well there are a few things that this could be....
    BUT before we do that....take the fingers off the coin...that right there will kill the value--always hold coins by the rim (or edge)....your fingers will leave some of the oils on the coin and down the road fingerprints will show up....most of the time it can take the value down 50%.

NOW...back to the coin...

It could be plated--IMHO the detail could still be this good and be plated...it doesn't always mess it up like your dealer stated.
    Then sometimes the strike is sooo hard (its a few tons anyhow) that the metal will ooz over the rim and kindof cover up the clad layer....we have had a few cases found here of that.
    I highly doubt that this is an off metal error....but there is one way to find out without sending it to get graded....get the weight of the coin.
    Any dealer should be able to do this for you...just go in and ask them to weigh a coin.

Speedy

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Looks to me like someone cracked open one of those silver or platinum plated sets you see on TV coin shows,and possibly put it into circulation.as Speedy said,weighing it would tell the story though.It's silver ONLY if it weighs 6.25 grams.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy MWR961 - Welcome to the Forum !!

I suspect Speedy is correct, it's an ordinary clad quarter with the clad layer pushed down over the copper layer and covering it up. It's a rather common occurrence.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It could be a case of the copper nickel layer being scraped down and covering the copper on the edge. That does happen. (It happens in the blanking process though, not in the striking like Speedy suggested.) Much more likely is that it have simply been plated. Your dealer was wrong when he said that a plating layer would weaken the fine detail. The thickness of the plating layer they do on those things is in the neighborhood of .00005 inches - 5 hundred thousandths of an inch or about a tenth the thickness of the copper plating on a modern cent. A plating layer that thin won't have any effect on the fine details.

The real key is the weight of the coin and THAT should have been the first thing that your dealer should have checked if he knew anything about error coins, which he obviously doesn't. (So anything he told you about the coin can be rejected, he doesn't know what he is talking about.) Weight the coin. If it weighs 5.67 grams +/- .23 grams then it is a plated regular quarter. (The weight of the plating is so small, about .005 grams. that it can just be ignored.) If the weight is 6.25 +/- .19 grams THEN it is a silver quarter.

10. kaos10

kaos10 New Member

I was looking for information about an exact copy of this persons coin. My son found it and asked me if it was silver. I weighed it and it weighed5.8 grams, so its definitely not silver, But I was wondering if it still may have value, since I am sure it is rare, like an error coin. Any help would be appreciated.

11. MichelleisAwesome

MichelleisAwesome New Member

This is so weird... I've found the exact same quarter! It doesn't look to be plated or painted. The edges look just the same as the the silver quarters I have in my small collection. I can't find anything about this quarter!

12. 2BAD2BGOOD

2BAD2BGOOD New Member

I have received this same quarter. I am in Salt Lake City. Are any of you near here? Did anyone get a price on it?

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Plated, it's worth a quarter.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

OMG. 12 YEARS AGO?!?!? Send it to PCGS and then you'll know.

15. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Talk about bringing old thread back from the dead... Geez.

ZoidMeister and C-B-D like this.
  16. Gemofapiece

Gemofapiece New Member

I am in upstate NY. I searched to find this thread due to myself receiving one of these in my change. It's in XF to AU condition. I was hoping to get a bit more info, but seems the best thing to do is to ship to PCGS which I will be doing. I'm an avid coin collector and also a jeweler. I can tell you from close examination that this coin has NOT been plated and as far as the clad being rolled over the side during the strike..... well, I don't mint the coins myself but that seems to be nonsense with how the coins are made but again, I'm not a minting professional. The coin is most DEFINITELY NOT silver.
    So, hopefully someone has some insight before I waste the $30 to get it headed and slabbed.
    Cheers

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's not nonsense, it's extremely common.

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

As @Conder101 suggested (when he was 12 years younger) the nickel layer could have been "scraped over the edge" during the blanking operation, not the striking operation, but it is also possible that an extremely thin layer of silver was applied to the coin. Some of the TV hucksters routinely sold these State Quarter sets plated with gold, silver and platinum. The only way to know for sure would be to weigh the coin.

Chris

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Gemofapiece, before you spend the money WEIGH the coin. If it is close to 5.67 grams +/- .227 grams save your money.

GeorgeM and Oldhoopster like this.
  20. tatter tott

tatter tott Active Member

21. tatter tott

tatter tott Active Member

i hate this phone it's garbage I was just trying to see if I could at least take this error quarter coin but don't look like it.well buy the way I will have better pictures in a few minutes but this is a 2019 Idaho p quarter it's the river of no return it ha's this ring like that starts all the way out to the end of the quarter and goes around and gets smaller as it goes around the quarter at the top off his head. it's like were every thing comes together when I pull it all in were I can see it good. it's like some kind of Crest her or something like that sorry I no that sounds crazy but that is what you will see and also the Ring looks brown looking like a Penny same color .but when you get it some in good I can see a big 2 and maybe a 5 down on the for head the letters v and s out from it is on their.I have some coins that I have the ghost looking things on it it's a major crash is what they tell me I hope I'm on the right site I'm getting ready to send some good pictures of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted