2002 D cent wrong metal? missing copper layer?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by lincolnhoardr, Nov 1, 2009.

1. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

I had just started going through a bag of cents when this beauty shined at me. Anyone know what it could be?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Looks like missing copper plating or the lighting is fooling me and it's a color issue. Nice find.

4. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

Chemical alteration, probably accidental - maybe even heated too.
    I doubt it is unplated (step 1 would require weighing to begin to determine) and i don't think it looks unplated...

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice find! maybe 1 of 3
    1 thing struck on dime planchet
    2 missing copper layer
    3 dipped in something like coinzest at 100% or some other chemical

6. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It could be struck on an unplated planchet. Or it could have been plated outside the Mint. You'd have to weigh it to the nearest 1/100 gram and it would have to be examined under a microscope by someone who knows what to look for.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree with Mike!

8. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

dont school kids have an experiment to make a coin look like this?

9. lincolnhoardr

I added a couple pics with it next to a new 2009 cent and a half to compare colors with. I have no way of weighing at the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Yep, it's this experiment, you can also make it look gold too.
    Make A Gold Penny ! - Video

11. mikediamond

The color looks a little sickly in the newest photos, but it's not enough to cause me to reject it.

12. lincolnhoardr

Here is a couple taken in natural sunlight the previous pic and scan made it look real dull. Thank you for all for your help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It would really have to be examined in hand by an expert. It could be struck on a non-plated planchet, or it could have been plated post mint, you are not going to be able to tell from pictures. Weight is going to be pretty meaningless since whether it missed the plating or it was plated post mint is is still going to be within the mints weight tolerance range. One thing it is not, it has not had the copper plating removed.

14. mikediamond

Pending a close examination, it does look very promising.

15. lincolnhoardr

It weighs in @ 2.75 grams

16. mikediamond

The coin is grossly overweight (normal is 2.5 grams). I suspect your scale is inaccurate. Even relatively thick plating will add less than 0.1 grams.

17. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I agree, it has possibilities. I don't think it has been plated. My concern is the "staining", if you will.

It could be a result of normal corrosion beginning and I would expect to see some discoloration on a circulated, un-plated zincoln:)

The staining could also be a result of some chemical action that was used to remove the copper plating.

Usually when the plating is removed, the surface of the zinc is roughened and the details are damaged to a degree and I don't see that.

I see some luster remaining and that moves me into the "this could be a good one" camp on this coin. get it checked out as Mike suggests.

Have Fun,
    Bill

18. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

The scale is way off, it has to be:)

A layer of plating (if this was plating) over a normal copper-plated zinc cent that is as fine as this one would not add much weight to the coin at all.

19. GoldenFire

GoldenFire Coin Hoarder

I agree. From the looks of it, it appears to be the result of a school experiment. Look at the scruff marks on the reverse…

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Mint specs are + or - .10 but that would account for the extra weight. my be a wrong planchet but country are we still minting coinage for???

21. lincolnhoardr

Should I send the coin to get professionally graded by the NGC what should I do to get it checked out?

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted