200? Dime date error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tomm, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Tomm

Tomm Junior Member

1st time poster trying to find info about this dime error.

I haven't found much of anything, so thought I would join and ask.

I'm no photographer either, but this is the best picture I was able to
    take of this error.

I found this dime while searching through all my change looking for silver coins.

Out of over 2000 dimes, I found 1 silver dime and this error dime.

Best that I can tell it's a 2004 dime, but the 4 is not there. Looking at it
    under a magnifying glass (5x power is all I have) you can see a real faint outline of what looks like a 4.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Tom

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Welcome to CoinTalk - it's weak strike or struck thru some grease very common.

Welcome to CoinTalk - it's weak strike or struck thru some grease very common.

rockypa likes this.
  4. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Welcome.

As stated, a struck through error. Some people collect stuff like this. I found one missing the "E" in "dime" and put it up on ebay. I think I got $3.40 for it, so not much of a premium, but better than just spending it.

5. Tomm

Tomm Junior Member

Thanks for the quick responses!

6. Petunia

Petunia New Member

200 dime

I, too, have a 200 D dime with a missing number. Has anyone found the value of this dime? I couldn't tell if mine had a slightly visible 4 under a magnifying glass but is a newer 200 dime.

7. As to quote bobbeth87, "As stated, a struck through error. Some people collect stuff like this. I found one missing the "E" in "dime" and put it up on ebay. I think I got $3.40 for it, so not much of a premium, but better than just spending it."

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Here's a couple of dimes I found while roll searching. They're 1946-s dimes and I found eight (8) of these in one roll. The missing details in the letters and oak leaves are likely due to a grease-filled die, but I can't understand how the grease stays in one place under all that pressure.

You can probably see that part of the "L" all of the "U" and part of the "R" in PLURIBUS is missing. I understand that the grease in the "U" may not have anywhere to go, but I would expect the grease to push out more evenly into the "L" and "R".

Also, the upper most Oak leaf cluster is supposed to have three (3) leaves; these dimes only have two (2)...you can barely see the remnant of third leaf at the base. The next Oak leave down to the right has half the leaf missing.

I'm not trying to make the argument that these aren't the result of a grease-filled die, I'm just trying to understand how the grease can stay in one place (under all that pressure) and not move about...even after multiple strikes.

[​IMG]

9. Diana Stafford

Diana Stafford New Member

I have a 200 D dime. Does any one know what its worth?

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It isn't just grease as most of us know it. It is metal granules, heavy grease, compacted by tremendous pressure and increased temperature. reminds me of a Bondo type of putty.

11. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

12. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

This is has not been proven(yet) so do not think this is true: its caused missing because of the nickel design not allowed the fourth number of the year to be on the coin....and also I do think it is a 3 measuring the vibrations or markings allows me to say a 3. if it were to mark the number would be angled to a slant as you see the 2nd 0 in 200 is, but much more.

13. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

There has not been proof of this so it is not true
    Did you guys know that there is a O from the word GOD, where the mint mark D is located?

14. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

This also has not been proven so it is not true.
    These two dimes are a result from a half dollar and or a dollar. I would need closer and better pictures.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

15. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

Neat find! I found one a while back, just look at my avatar up close :)

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Tom, welcome to CT. That's a nice little find. Not worth a lot but a keeper. Looks like it was minted with a grease filled die in the last digit of the date.

17. rockypa

rockypa New Member

Grease on the die

18. Don L

Don L New Member

I have had the year 200 dime also for quite some time. Still a rarity to me.

19. Dooms

Dooms New Member

I have a couple very similar dimes from 19--. It's always nice to find something even if it's a common error such as one caused by grease.

20. Thorpeuser

Thorpeuser Long time collector

image.jpeg Sometimes I have noticed that on grease filled dies that if you view the coin from an angle you can see the "ghost image" remains of the letter or number. See my 1909 with the VDB visible when only viewed from a 70 degree angle. image.jpeg

Dooms likes this.
  21. Dooms

Dooms New Member

Bad photo but here is a 1930 filled die (reverse) I recently found going through a bunch of my wheat's. Only E P----BUS --UM visible in E PLURIBUS UNUM.

Attached Files:

Neal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted