20 grams in gold is worth?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Yankee, May 20, 2009.

1. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

How do you figure out what 20 grams 99.99 gold is worth compaired to a 1 ounce bar?. I just got 2 10 gram bars with assay cards?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Correct.

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

7. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Answer: 20 g = 0.643014 oz(troy)

8. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

When I was a schoolboy in the '30s,
    • avoirdupois ounces (16 to the pound) were 437.5 grains and used to measure the weight of all common objects
    • troy ounces (12 to the pound) were 480 grains and used to measure the weight of precious metals; and
    • grams (1,000 to the kilogram) were part of the completely separate Metric System in which the unit "grain" did not exist.
    When did that change, and how does a metric ounce compare to an avoirdupois ounce?

9. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I believe the metric and avoirdupois ounce are the same because it takes 16 metric ounces to a pound.

10. hontonai

Sorry my friend, the metric system and the English system are unrelated.

"Metric ounces" are in the same league with Unicorns.

11. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I understand that the metric and English systems are completly different. All I know is that there are 28.349 grams to an ounce, which is of course 1/16 of a pound.

12. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

So I guess the answer is my 20 grams of gold is about a half a ounce

13. hontonai

Closer to 2/3. You had it right several posts ago.

14. John the Jute

John the Jute Collector of Sovereigns

IIRC, the change was in 1959.

It was not a change that created a metric ounce. As you say, that doesn't exist.

It was change that recognized that each country had a different troy ounce. Each country had a hunk of metal that represented a troy pound, which had been copied, as accurately as technology permitted at the time, from some other country's troy pound. Mid-20th-century technology, which was accurate to microgrammes, showed them all to be very slightly different.

Most countries agreed to piggyback on the work that was being done to define the kilogramme precisely, and to redefine their troy ounce as 31.1034768 grammes. This made no significant difference to precious metals trading (at the time, a microgramme of gold cost about a nine-thousandth of a cent) and saved arguments.

This means that 20g is closer to 0.643015 troy ounces. :D

Later,

John

Draft saved Draft deleted