20 dollar MCMVII huge probably fake coin thing...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by teedle, Dec 26, 2009.

1. teedle

teedle Junior Member

alright ive got this huge messed up coin and i wanna know if it's real, fake, or even worth the 20 bucks it claims, it's about 77 millimeters in diameter and heavy as fat. i'm no numismatist so if you lie to me ill probably believe you.
    i assume it's fake because why would i have some real 20 dollar coin

\/ Pic Down There \/

sorry about the bad camera:

http://i48.tinypic.com/15zp0g9.png

if it's fake or worth nothing maybe you could suggest a practical use like maybe a beverage coaster?

also im guessing theres 40 billion threads on this exact coin but i made this to see if mine is fake, so uhh...yeah...:cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Penny Fanatic

Penny Fanatic Seated Half Collector

if it is real, then it could be a 1907 ultra high relief double eagle or a regular relief (i think they made regular relief 1907's but don't believe my until i get backed up on this). The edge looks very shady to me and my guess it is a fake, but i don't know it might turn out to be real. I'd wait for people who know more about these coins than i do; one thing that i can answer for sure is that the U.S. mint did make $20 gold double eagles, but they were no really circulated, at least the saint gaudens design.

hope this helps!

4. teedle

teedle Junior Member

thanks for the help penny fanatic

5. Penny Fanatic

yep but i'd check back later just to get some other opinions, because im most likely wrong somewhere

6. ten-cents

ten-cents Senior Member

This is a cast fake. No value.

7. Penny Fanatic

unless, of course it's gold, but it's most likely not... more like bronze because it looks like its toning/tarnished.

8. teedle

teedle Junior Member

well i guess my next course of action is what to do to it, i dont need a paper weight or coaster....i could trick peple on ebay maybe...

9. krispy

krispy krispy

First of all, before you part with it, research it until you know everything there is to know about it. Trying to 'trick' someone by selling it (as something it is not) is very bad... I am also curious where you got it? did you buy it? find it? present? heirloom? What the heck is a cast replica that big for?

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since it is 77mm or about 3", then there is no doubt it is a cast fake as the original $20 was only 34mm in diameter. The edge is really messed up. These, or similar, are available in most coin supply catalogs and at fairs and such as souveniers. I have a 3" 1877 Indian Cent and 3-Leg buffalo someplace. Kids love them. Usually sell for $3 or so.

Jim

11. teedle

teedle Junior Member

well ill try to trick someone with them knowing it's a completely fake big messed up coin if itll make you feel better,
    also
    i was helping a friend move and he had it in his room under a pile of junk and he didnt want it and was throwing it away, so theres no telling where it's from i guess

12. ten-cents

ten-cents Senior Member

Are you kidding me?!?!?!? Are you actually serious? Not only is that against the law (to knowingly sell counterfeit coins as genuine), it is also highly unethical. The coin looks to be brass, the details are all wrong, and pretty much everything else is too. Use is as a coaster; no one else wants it.

13. AmyD

AmyD New Member

I have the same coin. I have never been able to find anyone to have answers about it. The coin was given to me when I was eight years old by a family member who found it cleaning out an attic. I am 30 now, still have the coin sitting in a box....

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Welcome to the group, AmyD. Whimsical coaster-size pieces like this are commonly seen, created as promotions or toys or just because somebody thought it a product people would pay a few cents for. At more than double actual size it's obviously not a real coin, and if gold a rough guess would put its' bullion value north of $7000 (figuring 90% gold, 77mm by 3mm). Highly unlikely; I think somebody in numismatics over the years would have become aware of such a piece struck in actual gold. :)

15. printman1953

printman1953 New Member

I have one of these medal coins too. I havent been able to find much about it. Itl looks like bronze. about 3 inches across and It has mcmvii on it with the saint gaudens double eagle 20 dollars on it. It looks like a real coin, but isnt. Its somekind of medalion.

16. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Draft saved Draft deleted