2 oz. Libertad

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by swick, Aug 9, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

I just got my first Mexican Libertad. I was looking through some "stuff" on E-Bay, and I saw this 2 oz. Mexican Libertad. I put in a low bid, never expecting to win the auction, but, lo and behold.....I DID win. 2 oz. Silver Libertad for $23.06 + $4.50 S & H. I thought that was a pretty good deal. What do yinz think?
    Anyways, the coin came yesterday. WOW!! What a pretty coin! This is the first time that I have looked at a Libertad up close and in hand. What beautiful details. Great looking coin in my opinion. I will try to post pictures later today, if I get a chance.
    Anyone else collect the Libertad coin? What is your opinion of the design?

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I don't collect them, but I love the design.

4. Spider

Spider ~

I do, the design is awesome, has one of my favorite obverses.

you wanna fall in love with something, buy a Britannia and look at it up close.

5. LSM

LSM Collector

I agree with all of you. Great design.

Lou

6. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

swick

And now you can add a/some 1 ounce Libertad/s and/or a/some 5 ounce Libertad/s to your collection.

By the way there are various reverse designs on the Libertad bullion coins.

Clinker

7. swick

swick New Member

Spider.....I did get a Britannia last week. You're right, the design is awesome! I was thinking about starting a collection of the
    1 oz Britannias, since they just started making them in 1997. BUT....and that's a very big BUT.....the 1997 are really hard to find. I even looked on APMEX, but they STARTED with the 1998 Britannia. Oh well.......maybe I'll just keep looking. The Britannia is a beautiful coin though! As is the Libertad!
    Thanks to everyone else who commented also!! Yinz are the greatest!!

swick

8. swick

swick New Member

Clinker......thanks for the heads up! Do you know what the reverse design means? The Libertad that I have has 10 smaller Eagles in various positions with a snake, around a larger Eagle with a snake in its' beak & talons. Thanks again!

swick

9. Spider

Spider ~

I haven't seen a design on one of them I did not like. They are really high class and beautiful reverses. Nothing with the queen, but I would always rather has a symbolic design over a person.

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

LOL I am still looking for the 97 Britannia, every time I have come across one on Evilbay I get outbid :rolleyes: I have a couple of the Australian 2oz Chinese Zodiac ones & love them so I can appreciate just how happy you were to win the Nexican 2oz :thumb: Any chance of a scan or pic?

11. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

swick

The eagle and snake design is the Mexican "coat-of-arms." There are several versions: submissive snake; defiant snake; etc. including changes in the design of the eagle. The one you have has the current coat-of-arms of the date on the coin, surrounded by previous or obsolete ones.

Clinker

12. Spider

Spider ~

you live IN THE UK!!! and you can't find it!!!

13. Bruce_B

Bruce_B New Member

Sounds like you got a great deal. I may have to start looking at ebay more often. :smile

14. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Spider Unfortunatly I am not quite as mobile as I once was so visiting all the coin shops & fairs can be quite a pain litraly for me & I end up having to rely on Evilbay LOL

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I have a single one ounce Libertad in my collection, and it's a very nice coin. I think coins that are more than one ounce in weight sell at something of a discount because a lot of people don't like the size. So it seems that a single two ounce coin usually sells for less than two one ounce coins.

16. Pirata72

Pirata72 Senior Member

I have a few and really love the design. The ASE, Libertad, and Brittanias are some of my favorites to collect.

17. swick

swick New Member

I agree with you Pirata.....I may get a few more of the Brittanias and the Libertads. I have several ASE also, but I may "expand" my collection of SILVER coins.
    Thanks to everyone who responded!

swick

18. shortstack

shortstack Senior Member

The Eagle on the Libertads is the Obverse, the Winged Victory is the Reverse. (ref. Standard Catelog of World Coins)

There are quite a few varieties of the Libertad coin, started in 1982. The changes are highlighted in red and I did not include Proof varieties.

Type 1: 1982 – 1989
    Obverse – Mexican Eagle
    Seven dots below eagle’s left talon.
    Reverse – Winged Victory
    (“1 onza”, “PLATA PURA”, “Ley .999”)
    Edge: Lettered “INDEPENDENCIA Y LIBERTAD”

Type 2: 1990 – 1991
    Obverse – Mexican Eagle
    Seven dots below eagle’s left talon.
    Reverse – Winged Victory
    Edge – Reeded

Type 3: 1991 – 1992
    Obverse – Mexican Eagle
    Eight dots below eagle’s left talons.
    Reverse – Winged Victory
    Revised design and lettering (“1 OnZa”, “PLaTA PuRA”,
    “LeY .999”)
    Edge – Reeded
    Type 4: 1993 – 1995
    Obverse – Mexican Eagle
    Seven dots below eagle’s left talon, dull claws on right talon, thick
    letters.
    Reverse – Winged Victory
    Edge – Reeded
    Type 5: 1996 – 1999
    Obverse – Mexican Eagle
    Reverse – Revised Winged Victory (angled left)
    Edge – Reeded
    Type 6: 2000 –
    Obverse – Mexican Eagle within a circle of obsolete versions
    Reverse – Winged Victory
    Edge – Reeded

I've posted pics here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560295071DKZqJl

Included with the pics is an image of the 1/20 oz through 5 oz Libertads with a Peace dollar in for size reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted