1999 P over P?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by andy21us, Apr 28, 2008.

1. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

I found this 1999 P in a roll search today and wanted to get others opinion of it. Is it a P over P, P over D, or just a machine doubling. I know the pic is not the best but any thoughts will help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

The mint stopped hand punching mint marks into the dies in the late eighties. RPM's are supposed to be impossible after this occurred, although the mint has produced some other type errors/varieties that where not supposed to be able to happen, yours is most likely machine doubling.
    Keep looking and look at pre 89 (I think) they are out there! Good luck!

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. wheels2285

wheels2285 New Member

Good info to know nickelman. Thanks

6. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

I have found other 1999 P with the same type mint mark but some of them also have doubling on the date and in the moto mainly in the G and O in God. I have a new camera and I am still woking on how to use it properly but here are some of the pic. If you look closely at the date you can tell the second and last 9 has doubling in the down strokes and in the second pic you can see that God also has boubling. As you said it is most likely machine doubling but I have not seen machine doubling this pronounce.

Attached Files:

7. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

8. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

Thanks Huntsman, strike doubling makes more sense then machine doubling.

9. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Andy,

Strike doubling and machine doubling are one and the same just different terms for it! The type of doubling of which I was referring is Die Deterioration doubling of which is on your Nickel.

Frank

10. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

Thanks Frank, I guess it is all a learning process.

Paul

11. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

12. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

Thanks Bruce, this will help.

Draft saved Draft deleted