1995 P Copper Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ericimage, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ericimage

ericimage New Member

I have a 1995 P copper dime I was looking for information about it but found nothing.
    Is a weird coin because is just like the regular dime but slightly thinner and in cooper but the coin is in perfect condition and everything is clear
    you can see the details like the hair and the leaves details

Any ideas on what it is and its possible value

Thanks

Eric

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IvanV

IvanV New Member

Hello, and Welcome Eric, can you please post a picture of your dime?

Thanks,

Ivan

4. Hurdset

Hurdset New Member

I have one also

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why don't you start a separate thread with photos?

Chris

6. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

Hurdset,

Coming in as a new member its tough, but we all go through it.

A real 95 copper dime could easily be worth 1,000 - 3,000, BUT the odds of your being real are very small, but not impossible.

Without a decent picture and accurate weight, we are all wasting our time. It should be worth the effort if it might be real and not just discolored, which is what fools most people. Post these and we can help you.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That would be true if the Dime was struck on a copper planchet. But a blank copper planchet would not fit into a dime chamber to be struck because it has a bigger circumference.
    The other 3 possibilities are Missing Clad Layer error, Acid dipped which would erode the clad layer and would be PMD, and Environmental damage. The missing clad layer, which is usually only on one side would be worth $100.00-$150.00 ;)
    Here is one from my collection
    3019836-003.JPG

8. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

Core-Only-Dime-Obverse.jpg Core-Only-Dime-Reverse.jpg

My price range was referring to either a struck cladless core, shown above, or a foreign copper planchet. I honestly don't know if such a coin existed for the year in question, but they do in some other years. They tend to be more valuable than similar colored foreign blanks, it appears.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Alex G

Alex G New Member

View attachment 752947 Some how, I just managed to get your reply on to the very area I need to address my question. As you can see, I'm rather new at this and am learning as I go alone. Be that as it may, I'm glad I stumbled across your site in that just tonight I came across this dime (shown above) and am not sure what's going on with it. I'm hoping you would be so kind as to answer my questions about it. Seeing your photo above of your copper stuck planchet, I now understand what I have isn't like that. I don't think it was acid dipped, nor do I believe it looks this way do to environmental conditions. What I now believe is, that it's missing a clad layer in that, the entire coin is smooth and cleanly imprinted and looks like a regular dime, except, that it's this weird dark grey color on both sides. Could this be a cladless dime and, would you tell me if this error would make it valuable. Thank you!
    Alex

My price range was referring to either a struck cladless core, shown above, or a foreign copper planchet. I honestly don't know if such a coin existed for the year in question, but they do in some other years. They tend to be more valuable than similar colored foreign blanks, it appears.[/QUOTE]

10. Alex G

Alex G New Member

20180315_233153~2[1].jpg Like I've stated, I'm rather new at this and forgot to send the photo along with my inquiry. Anyway, here it is. Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks, Alex

11. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

This is environmental damage.
    It is not considered an error, sorry.
    Stick around awhile, you will see this question asked many times with many examples looking exactly like yours.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  12. paddyman98

I agree with Environmental Damage
    Not a Mint Error

13. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Thank you for your reply and info., it's much appreciated!

14. Alison Warner

Alison Warner New Member

How about this one??

Attached Files:

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

These dimes get rusty/ oxidize easily. If they are in the ground for any length of time they turn this color. The metals react with the soil, air, water, etc.
    The core of these coins are copper. Sometimes, the clad layer is missing (usually 1 side). A dime weighs 2.27 grams. If it were missing both clad layers in order to be copper it would weigh around 1.5 grams and the coin would be more copper colored. Your coin is environmentally damaged. But still worth 10 cents.
    This INCREDIBLE example from another poster here is what a coin looks like with the clad layer missing and the copper exposed. Your dime would look like this:
    2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  16. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

If you have a question about a coin, it's best to post a new thread instead of using an old one.

17. [​IMG] Hello Everyone, I think I may have an example of what you are speaking of when explaining the dime missing both clad layers. I came across this beauty early this afternoon. Ite weight it significantly less then that of a normal dime.

18. paddyman98

Your picture does not show. But it is most likely damage to the clad layer. If you read the responses given you would understand why.

19. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Is this your coin, @Old Error Guy ?

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Until we can see it, a dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted