1992 D Lincoln Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rexesq, Jun 10, 2006.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

The edge of this penny, on the obverse, is twice as thick in one area, and very thin in another, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well....here are a couple of pictures, sorry about the quality. What happened to the front of this coin? The edge/border on the reverse is normal.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

It's not really much of an error. It's more like it was just slightly off center. This coin would not hold any premium in value. You can probably find quite few if you search rolls of cents from the bank. It is a little bit wider than normal though.

4. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

This is not an off-center strike. It is a minor horizontal misalignment of the obverse (hammer) die. Minor misalignments are quite common.

5. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

Is it a close AM?

6. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

7. Hey rexesq,

I believe tdec1000 is asking if it is this. The first image should be the wide am. Go to Coneca.com and there is an article on the main page. Lots of good info.

Happy hunting,

Michael

Attached Files:

8. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

I see, whenever I try to open 'coneca.com' or 'www.coneca.com' it gives me an 'error 404 page not found' message, is the site experiencing technical difficulties or something? I think it is wide AM, but I am not completely sure. I will try to get a clear picture later today.

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

10. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

That works, thanks.
    Here are some pictures of the reverse, I'm not sure if they're clear enough for anyone to tell.

Attached Files:

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You've got one of each there.

12. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

Is the 'close AM' really a desirable coin? I saw one on ebay that didn't get a 1 cent bid. The sellers say it's worth 500 dollars.

13. GDJMSP

It depends on the date and the condition of the coin.

14. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

All pictures are of the same coin...I'm pretty sure it's 'wide AM' .

15. My understanding was that only 1994 and after had this variety. 1993 and earlier were all wide am's. Has this been talked about before, I've got a lit deja vu going on?

Happy hunting,

Michael

16. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Nevermind. Didn't read GDJMSP's second post.

17. I'm not dismissing your coin rexesq, I just don't remember off hand if 1992 had a wide am or not. But have no fear, Mike Diamond will come along and set us all straight!!! I think we should christen Mike the nickname "Error Guru". Who's with me?

Keep searching... they're out there,

Michael

18. GDJMSP

Dunno how ya did it then, because in one pic there is a clear separation between the A & M and in the other they all but touch :confused:

19. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

It must just be the lighting and angle, the second pic is a bit blurred as well, and may give the illusion of the two letters being closer than they actually are.

Draft saved Draft deleted