1990 lincoln penny error,very wierd coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by leapc, Jan 17, 2005.

1. leapc

leapc New Member

OK,new pictures...1990 lincoln penny error, railroad wheel

I found this coin 2 years ago in my change jar, (see pictures) I still have it and thought I would try to get answers on what happened to it and its value. The coin has no copper finish on it, (silver color)also,the letters on the back( in "united states of america" the "S" and "of" are barely stamped into the coin. The whole edge of the coin looks like a railroad wheel,and the overall size is larger than a regular penny ... seems to be an extra outside rim. under a magnify glass it has a few little tiny bumps on front and back and the vdb mark is on it. my guess was a penny on a nickel planchet?? Please help , Tim

Attached Files:

• coin.JPG
      coin.JPG
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. leapc

leapc New Member

Sorry here the picture for 199o lincoln penny error

see pictures

4. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Welcome to the forum leapc. It seems the general consensus on coins like yours is that they are post-mint alterations. Some advise may be to measure its weight, thickness and diameter or to show it to a knowledgeable coin person. Be sure to do a search for similar threads and you'll see some others that have posted similar threads and the responses they got.

5. jody526

jody526 New Member

Welcome, Tim.

I'm pretty sure we can eliminate the "cent struck on a nickel planchet" theory.

I would guess that it has been damaged.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can't speak to the color - but why does side appear copper colored and the other not ? My guess would be the copper cladding is gone.

As to the other aspect - it does look like a railiroad rim. See HERE

7. leapc

leapc New Member

The color of the coin is very even front and back,The picture of the front just looks like copper,(must have been the lighting)the way the back looks in the pictures,is how the front looks also. I will post better pictures ...thanks

8. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

Hard to tell by the pictures, but it could also have been "encased" and removed. Those types of coins also exhibit "railroad rims".

9. leapc

leapc New Member

Please look again at new pictures

Look at these pictures and let me know what you think,Thanks ...TIM

Attached Files:

• coin.JPG
      coin.JPG
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now based on those pics - in particular the bottom 2 - I'm gonna go with the encased coin idea. And if it's the same color both sides - then I'm convinced the copper cladding has been removed - likely by acid.

11. leapc

leapc New Member

Thank you ,not sure what encased is but at least I know its not a mint error

Thanks you ,I'm not sure what encased means, but at least I know it wasnt a mint error.

12. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

An encased cent is a souvinir type item. Usually a cent from what ever year an event is taking place is inserted into an aluminum ring, or sometimes a shape of a horseshoe, and then pressed so that the two become one. I have an example that I can post pics of, encased and removed. Give me a bit, I will try to post them on this thread as soon as possible.

13. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

14. rosalie11228

rosalie11228 New Member

I have same in 1983 coin...

Okay, at first I thought it was coincidental, but my coin also has the same issues with the last "S" in the word STATES and also the "of". My penny is a 1983. It too is slightly bigger than an ordinary penny. In fact, my penny is almost identical to the one shown except for the year. Any info would be great. Thanks, Rosalie

15. JosieB

JosieB New Member

About the 1990 penny, I have the same exact penny. It has to be a mint error

16. JosieB

JosieB New Member

I have the same exact penny, it has to be a mint error.

17. Jacob dennis

Jacob dennis Member

I have found those to . 1999 and eary 90s . any one have a weight on them . sorry dont have a scale

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  18. santy

santy Member

hi

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  19. santy

santy Member

hi i just wanna know what kind of penny error is this?thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Tim, the groove through the edge is the dead giveaway it was encased. Santy, your coin has a plating bubble. The plating just didn't stick well there. That was on the planchet before the coin was struck.

21. santy

santy Member

thanks for the info

Draft saved Draft deleted