1988 nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mjames91966, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mjames91966

mjames91966 Junior Member

I have several nickels individualy packaged(not mint packaging). I was told when i got them that they were possibly a cereal box prize but have not found any info to support that. I know about the cheerios penny and Sacajawea dollar, but that was all i found for cereal box prizes. They are all 1988 "D" nickels. Anybody know of nickels from that year given away as prizes? Thank You, Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

Possibly something Littleton might have done. Is there any printing on the packaging?

4. LewR

LewR Junior Member

I once received a one dollar bill Folded, but new) in a cello bag in a snack food - L68191968 - series 1999 - though the number was odd for a random buck in a box....LOL

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

What kind of packaging are they in? I never heard of anything but I haven't had any cereal for quite awhile. If you're sure they were giveaway's maybe you should post a pic. :smile

6. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Never heard ot seen that.

Never heard ot seen that.

7. mjames91966

pictures

Thanks for the input, here are a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

8. Space 4 Rent

Space 4 Rent Uber-Collector

I am sure some currency collector would give a premium for that note.

9. mjames91966

payday nickel

I finally found out were these nickels came from, Hershey put a nickel in the Payday candy bar, that was short lived because the nickel was actually stuck to the candy bar and due to health and sanitation reason they were forced to stop.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

So what was the reason for giving out the nickel. Were they pontificating off of the "penny for your thoughts" saying plus inflation?? :D

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Someone might, but it wouldn't be a lot. The serial is interesting...but it's not a radar note or anything.

12. chug

chug Junior Member

I just found one of these and posted it on this fourm but all of yours are heads up mine is heads down and still in the cellphane wrap posted under the name chug

13. mjames91966

i have with heads up and tails up. They came both ways

14. Woody's World

Woody's World New Member

I have several of these. They are actually inside a rapper that is inside a wrapper. So being double wrapped I don't think they posed any health problem other than some child swallowing one.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

16. Susan Bingham

Susan Bingham New Member

I do I got a nickle it of a box do long ago maybe Cheerios it was in a little piece of what looked like to be wax paper sealed up in it got stolen from me but I do know it was a very long time ago 70s 80s not sure

17. Jadee

Jadee New Member

Hi everyone, I was just doing a image search for my 1988 Jefferson nickel and this forum came up n my search results. I have had mine since I was a small child, gotten in the late 1980's to possibly early 1990's.
    I personally got my sealed, clear plastic packaging .5¢ piece from a box of cereal. I just can't remember if it was from Cheerios, Wheaties or Chex.
    I wasn't sure if it might be worth anything or not and just thought I'd do a search for it and try to find out.

18. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello Jadee! I ask of you to do an Intro. about yourself and then post a New thread with several Pics please.
    Thank You.

19. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Jadee, you may have a Payday nickel that was packed along with a Payday candy bar. Won’t make for a big payday for you but kinda neat that someone saved it.
    A Florida eBay seller has 3/$5.99 + $4.95 shipping

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@Jadee Hello and welcome to CT. This thread is from 2010 and was last used in 2017. Best to start a new thread, introduce yourself and post photos of both sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted