1985-D Mint Error (rare?)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kazrog, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kazrog

Kazrog Junior Member

I'm new to this forum but I've been coin collecting for a few years as a hobby.

I've recently acquired a very interesting coin. It's a 1985-D dime with a fairly severe mint error, in good condition. I've checked the PCGS price guide and can't find any mention of such a coin. Has anyone ever come across this, or know its current population/value?

Thanks for any help!

Pictures of the 1985-d dime with mint error (high resolution):

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It looks like in my opinion, a post mint damage, which is worth just a dime.

4. Kazrog

Kazrog Junior Member

Thanks for the response! I can see why you might say that, but check out the first two letters in "STATES" on the reverse side. I can't see how that kind of complete distortion, doubling of the vertical line in T, and excess metal below both letters could occur outside the mint. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't seem possible any other way.

5. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

Post mint damage. Looks like whatever struck the obverse caused the the line that looks like the vertical bar of the T. Flip the coin and you can see that "STA" it is in the exact same spot as the obverse damage.Just my opinion and Welcome to the Forum.... John

6. charles coater

charles coater New Member

i have one of these coins.anr

7. charles coater

i have this coin. and i have heard alot of confusing details about it .well im no expert but it looks good to me .i would have to weigh-in on a positive note. also o

8. charles coater

i think about all have said that all broadstrikes have no reeding .well mine does. so what does this mean?maybeminemmore

9. charles coater

10. charles coater

and just one more thing if i may. there are alot of different price's on the coin where would i find the right value for my coin?

Draft saved Draft deleted