1985 bronze penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jesse P, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

hey guys!i got this 1985 penny its bronze in color all over front back and sides.i took a pic of a uncirculated 1985 to the right for color comparison.is it just a penny with no copper ? GetAttachment.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

it is the same color as a new u.s 1 doller token.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It is a penny. Period. Copper turns all kinds of colors/shades. Here is just one example.

Attached Files:

5. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

lol i just ment it was bronze colored sorry for the statement.it is just very gold in color maybe just toning?but it does look like it has no copper finish?is that possible?

6. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

7. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

ep that is definatly what it looks like its def the same as the youtube vid

8. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

9. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

wow that looks like what i have!!!!

10. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

wow. that looks borderline illegal. I see he didn't use US coins, but the defacement of currency law is there specifically for those that try to alter money to make it more desirable numismatically. wonder when they'll show up as a set on ebay?

11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

You can plate coins and sell them for more then face value.... it happens all of the time. If it is illegal (which I think it's not) they don't enforce it. How many gold and platinum plated coins do you see HSN selling? The brass plated cents have been showing up on EBay for years... People have been cooking these up for a long time. This is why the real ones (If such a thing exist) aren't worth much... because you really can't tell the difference.

12. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

i agree 100 percent.

13. mjames91966

mjames91966 Junior Member

dont forget all the coins that they paint or colorize and sell as collectibles

14. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

The bronze, (or brass plated) designation came about because of a certain years, (and 1985 is one of them) were turning up a very different yellow/golden color. The other years are 1983, 97 and 98. They are found in circulating cents regularly (by those that do this crazy thing, me to) on a regular basis. Most often seen is the 1997-D. But unless very different in contrast (from other red cents) they are not worth anything, we find them all the time.
    As far as color goes I have seen, in the past 5 or 6 million cents that I have searched, and found every color cent in the rainbow. I've found pink, blue, purple, green, yellow, burgandy, rose, red, black and anything else you can possibly think of. Most were colored that way because of oils from peoples skin, other chemicals, exposed to elements, sun, sulver, - the list goes on and on.
    Ken Potter has and knows exactly what happened with the years I mentioned and can explain these few years Brass Type Cents. He has really good examples for sale with the mints explanation of those certain years.
    Also remember that Brass was the normal composition for cents from 1962 to 1981. Keep searching and you will find tons of different colored cents but most will only be a "somehow toned coin" of little importance.

15. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

bhp 3rd.i have looked at mine very close.i have a science project dime it is gold.i have a penny with different colors like blue and pink also.you seem very wise would you know anyone i could mail it to to be checked out?im almost certain its bronze.it has no mint mark and is in ok condition.and the contrast is not shiny gold.it is dull bronze and you can spot it in a pile of hundreds of pennies.

16. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

GetAttachment.jpg here is from left to right a brown and red circulated penny.the middle bronze and far right unused 2009.it is a frosty bronze all over.

17. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

18. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

here is the bronze left and 1982 with red toning for comparision.

19. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Jesse-
    Do you have Photoshop or another image software you could use to white balance the photo? I'm assuming you are shooting under tungsten light and unfortunately that's causing a color cast.

20. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Hey rim, What happened to that coin:yawn:

21. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

It's either a Brass Cent (copper plated zinc cent left in wash/rinse/plating process to long) as can be further explained by goin to Ken Potter's website or a toned coin - in either case in circulated condition there is no reason to "send it" anywhere. If it weighs 2.5 grams that's what it is, if it weighs 3.11 grams then you may have something but the bet is not very likley. Just keep studying them and hold on to it - I have 4 dozen Gem BU's over here and only sell one (for $3) once or twice a year.

One more thing, please get the books to assist you in this. If I sent off every coin that I could not explaine, (without my books) I'd be sending coins 365 days a year.
    The Books I suggest are: The Error Coin Encyclopiedia, The Authoritive Reference of Lincoln Cents by Wexler/Flynn, The Cherry Pickers Guild by Fivas/Stanton.
    If your going to do this stuff you got to study those and many more and really get to know them.

Draft saved Draft deleted