1983-D quarter error??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by austinl, Feb 18, 2010.

1. austinl

austinl Junior Member

heres a 1983-D quarter with an error im not sure of what it is. You can spot it on both sides of the eagle, it is found between the olive branch and the eagle's wing. Thanks

Austinl

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. austinl

austinl Junior Member

it may be a doubled die of the wing on the right side

4. austinl

austinl Junior Member

on the left side, the error isnt a cracked die, its all raised between the branch and the wing

5. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

It's a minor die clash of old George's head.

6. austinl

austinl Junior Member

can you explain this a little more?

7. austinl

austinl Junior Member

the error is on the reverse, not the obverse

8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

9. austinl

austinl Junior Member

interesting, i wonder which part of mine is part of washingtons head. How rare is this?

10. austinl

austinl Junior Member

well, i matched up the heads with the tails and by the looks, it doesnt look lioke there are any marks from washingtons head.

11. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It's a clashed die. When the dies clash, design elements can transfer from one die to another. The orientation of the clash will be upside down and backwards as that is the effect of the way the dies are oriented in a coining press. So what you are actually looking at is the line of the reverse die that forms the top of Washington's head, as it appears on the obverse die after the two dies clashed.

It is not an unusual occurrence but some folks will pay a slight premium if a die clash was a strong one.

Thanks,
    Bill

12. Loulou66

Loulou66 New Member

1983d quater

I found this one IMG_0371.JPGIMG_0370.JPGIMG_0372.JPGIMG_0373.JPGIMG_0369.JPG

13. james.tobias

james.tobias New Member

I got this 1983 quarter but when you turn it a certain way it changes to 1982 is that possible =?

14. Stacey mcculland

Stacey mcculland New Member

I also found a 1983 d quarter just wondering if it is worth anything

15. Ronald Lantz

Ronald Lantz New Member

I have a 1983D what's it worth

16. Michael J

Michael J New Member

I found a 1983D but the year is like blurred out and it also has a filled in mint mark. I'm more interested in the year. Also, It looks like it reads "N GOD WE TRUST". The I and N in "In" looks 'fused' together. It's just really a strange looking quarter that I've never seen before. Can anyone help? Just a bit? I'm notba coin expert but I know what they're *supposed* to look like. :-D And like I said, this one is just a bit odd to me. **shrugs**

17. Steelblooded

Steelblooded New Member

I also found a 1983 D quarter that I am quite sure is mint errors unless the law of physics has changed for this particular coin. I say this only because well facing the reverse from the left side of the eagle body 2 over halfway to the left edge of the wing has not been stamped or imprinted to where there is even a depression similar to the right not even remotely close the height of the left waiting is not only by far higher but you can see the wear to back this up. There is very little windy tail on the left we're very good detail on the right where it has been struck harder and deeper and there's numerous other errors on this coin but please give me your insight. I thank you for your time.

18. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Pictures are mandatory.

19. Brandon Rossi

Brandon Rossi New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted