1983 D DDR nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by chicken_little, Dec 24, 2005.

1. chicken_little

chicken_little Active Member

Does anyone have any pictures of what a 1983 D DDR nickel looks like? I think I found one in a box of nickels. I heard its one of the "common" double dies on nickels, is that true?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

1983D ddr "monticello"

Attached Files:

4. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Lol this is proof that there is...

6. tomfiggy

There are none listed................ The ones with listings are a different color and if you click on them it shows the examples.

7. tomfiggy

usmc60 likes this.
  8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

9. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

10. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

So let me guess...this isn't a doubled die???

Attached Files:

11. tomfiggy

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  12. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

13. tomfiggy

United States on reverse is split plate doubling. On the obverse there is no doubling only flattening from die wear. There is a place you can send these coins to have them attributed. Mr. Wexler from doubleddie.com, and Coneca will both do it for $5.00 per coin.. You will get an expert opinion. You clearly don't believe me but I'd hate for you to go on thinking you have something of value.

14. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Attached Files:

15. Bama Joe

Bama Joe New Member

Just because it ain't listed in this cherry pickers guide does not make it fact. New double dies are found regularly.

16. Bama Joe

Bama Joe New Member

I found a1983D DDO today in a coin roll. Very impressive doubling on date and all letters. Sometimes its only on a single coin, although very rare, but does happen. Professionals have looked at mine today and said "WOW". It's shipped off for grading and a plus, uncirculated and full steps. Check EVERY coin.

17. Curin Tse

Curin Tse New Member

99% it was die deterioration doubling not doubled die. After several years and many many burst balloons you no longer automatically argue with the pro's (these guys), you just take it in stride that they know exactly what they're talking about and call it free education, wisdom, whatever, and move on just a tad wiser for wear...

18. Tim Nitzken

Tim Nitzken Member

I have a 1983-D nickel with a ddr. Let me find a way to take some pictures and hear your thoughts

19. Tim Basaldua

Tim Basaldua New Member

My wife found this 1983 d nickle that looks as though it could of been uncirculated but there isn't any facial detail ( flat) but, all lettering and date are there and the reverse has the building but absolutely no detail (flat) and legible lettering . What is this? Wear?

Draft saved Draft deleted