1983 brockage cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mikediamond, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Rasputin41 sent me much better photos of his controversial cent. I am now almost certain it is a genuine, albeit complex, brockage. As best as I can tell, the reverse face was struck through a previously struck disc of metal that was rather thin and of variable thickness. Beyond that, I cannot identify the nature or origin of the brockage-maker. It's a highly desirable error.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stelarjohnny

stelarjohnny New Member

Can you explain those terms you used in english(albeit complex, brokage??) Iam sorta new at the coin collecting hobby so pease excuse me,iam just trying to figure out what type of error my 1983 cent is,thank you iam gonna post a new thread and see if the community can help

4. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

If you need more help, just holler.

Phoenix

5. Partly because I am lazy, just Google brockage and read all about it. Some sites will even have pics and great examples of this type of error. Ok mostly because I am lazy.

Also welcome to Coin Talk.

Michael

6. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

A brockage is an incuse (sunken), mirror-image version of the design created when a previously struck coin is struck into an unstruck planchet or another struck coin. It can also be produced by a struck fragment. There are other variations on the theme, but all are united by the fact that a previously struck "something", must be struck into another planchet or coin.

7. rasputin41

rasputin41 New Member

A thank you to all

We want to thank Coin Talk and all the members who played a role in the successful conclusion on the authenticity of the 1983 Penny. This was accomplished in the short time period of only 10 days. This is something that would have been impossible for us to accomplish in such a short time since we knew nothing at all about error coins.

The thread began with different theory's on the coins probable fakery, and some credibility was given to it when Mike Diamond joined the discussion. Up until that time our thought that it was authentic was rapidly fading.

Mike Diamond used up a good part of his time over the weekend on this. He had to contend with numerous emails from me, but he never complained, and answered each, and every one. After I finally sent him some 3200 ppi resolution scans of the penny he was able to determine that it was authentic.

We will be forever grateful to Mike. And a fitting title for him, I think would be: " The Sherlock Holmes of Error Coin Investigators ".

What will become of the penny will be up to the owner, who is my brother, and he resides in Thailand.

Live Long and Prosper!

Rasputin41

8. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Wow, I am really glad I was wrong. Awesome find, and am glad it is authentic. :thumb: Hope you will find some time to post here some time again!
    He is one of the best. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted