1981 Steel or Magnetic Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by moneypenny, Jan 20, 2008.

1. moneypenny

moneypenny Junior Member

I am looking for any opinions of my penny. I have a 1981 shiny silver looking penny. It sticks slightly to a magnet which leads me to believe it contains steel. However, it DOES NOT stick as strong as the 1943 steel's.

The penny is very shiny, almost reflective. I have had it for over 20 years and it still remains in excellent condition.

The reverse side and the sides are also the shiny silver look.

Any opinions as to the value or whether or not it is indeed real, would be hepful.

I tried to upload a photo but it wouldn't load. I will try again later.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

moneypenny:
    Welcome to the forum.

Suggestions:
    Review how to upload photos.
    2) What color is the coin?
    3) most likely you should get it slabbed.

4. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Nickel is mildly magnetic. Perhaps some kid has nickel plated it in his/her high school science class.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Since you got your real name back you are getting smarter!

6. moneypenny

moneypenny Junior Member

1981 Magnetic Penny

The coin is very shiny with a silver look. I think it is too shiny to be nickel, it is like a mirror finish. I have seen the nickel plated cents before.

Since it is magnetic I believe maybe it has some steel, but I do not know. I have come up with the following possibilities.

1. Someone's lab experiment.
    2. Was on a foreign metal since we were making foreign countries coins. I believe some contained a magnetic metal in 1981.

Also does anyone know what metals were tested for the cent, if any for 1981, before they changed the composition in 1982??

I have attached a picture however the numbers and letters turned out very blurry, tried to take over a dozen photos could not get a good enough picture.

Attached Files:

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I was thinking the same thing, possibly an experimental somebody at the mint pocketed, but I'm not your guy on this one, as I don't know ship(sp? ;)). Don't think that's out of the running at this stage, though, so hang in there...

8. moneypenny

moneypenny Junior Member

1981 Magnetic Penny

Thanks for the responses so far. I just got a weight scale so if anyone could tell me what I am looking for when I weigh this penny it would be helpful.

Thanks so much.

9. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Wheaties through 1942 - 3.11 g
    Steel Wheaties -2.7g
    Wheaties 1943-58, Memorials 1959-early 1982 - 3.11g
    Memorials late 1982-present - 2.5g

10. d2a007

d2a007 New Member

I was just looking through and old collection and found a similar penny here is my pics and info:
    [​IMG]
    First is UNK penny, second is 1943 steel penny, third is pocket change.

[​IMG]

3.08g for unk penny

[​IMG]
    1943 Penny 2.67g

[​IMG]

Random new penny 2.49g.

Looking over the unk penny I don't see a mint mark on it but I do see that there are scratches and dings with no sign of a second metal below.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,
    Eric

11. I have a similar one!

I have a similar one that I got in circulation some time ago.

It is slightly magnetic as well. It kind of sticks to the weak kitchen magnets I have, but not strong like the 1943 pennies. It's very very shiny, which doesn't show up well in this image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

vvvverry interesting ,.(smoking a cigarette in a German helmet )

13. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

looks like some experimentation...

14. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    For one thing magnetism is not just for Iron materials. Steel is made from Iron and Iron it the magnetic element in Steels. Many Iron compounds are very magnetic and some are not. Example is high grade Surgical Steels are non magnetic and contain about 33% iron. Oddly enough one of the most powerful magnets is made from non Iron elements. For example look up AlNiCo. This is obviously made from Aluminum, Nickel and Cobalt and is many times more powerful magnetically than Steels made from Iron. Even non matals can be made magnetic.
    Meanwhile back to your coin. Appears as a science project in magnetics and a possible coating by electrolysis.
    I highly doubt it's from the Mint. Sure would be nice to know what it is composed of or plated with though.

15. ascobie1

ascobie1 New Member

1981 shiny silver penny, slightly magmetic

I too have a 1981 shiny silver penny that i received recently, i am not a coin collector, but am interested in finding out about this coin.

16. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

It is plated. One only needs to look at the guys selling plated States quarters on TV to see that at various times and for various reasons, people plate coins.

I have coins that I have found in rolls that are zinc plated, mercury plated, chrome plated, and so on.

Technically a damaged coin. Whatever the plating is is causing it to be slightly magnetic.

Thanks,
    Bill

Insider likes this.
  17. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

wow sweet 1961-D steel, MP that 1981 look like a proof coin.

18. ey55maan

ey55maan Junior Member

I also have a 1981 penny that as steel colored and shiny, and slightly magnetic(not enough to hold its self to a larger magnet). If it is just coated then why are they all from 1981?

19. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

I too believe that the coin was plated with a magnetic substance outside the mint. Yesterday in chemistry class we plated cents with zinc. I imagine It could be done with other metals. It looks kinda like the reprocessed 43's.

20. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I have plated coins going back to Indian head cents. It is only coincidence if they happen to be of the same year.

Thanks,
    Bill

21. Bluto

Bluto Junior Member

Well since someone else started a post like this I figured I might as well chime in with mine. I've got a 1956 one that I came across. I don't know what to think. This one is attracted strongly to a magnet and has a completely different sound than the 1943's that I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted