1978 Quarter with die

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by wirelessworldin, Feb 19, 2006.

1. wirelessworldin

wirelessworldin New Member

Hello, I am new to this site. I have a question. we have been saving coins for years and decided to go on vacation and decided to cash our coins in. we started going through them and found 2 1978 quarters with a dot on each one of them by the ponytail. Is there a value to these because we have 1977 quarters, some with dots and some without. any help would be appreciated. We are not sure if the 1978 is supposed to have a dot or not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

could it be a very small "D"?

4. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum. Your coins probably have the "D"(Denver) mintmark on them. The ones made at the Philadelphia mint did not have a mintmark in 1978. There were 287,373,152 quarters made at the Denver mint in 1978, so they are only worth their face value(25 cents).

Charlie

5. wirelessworldin

1978 quarter

I have looked at the quarters till I am cross eyed. Is there a website that has a picture of the quarter with the dot? It looks like a dot, I have seen D's on the earlier dates and they are recognizable as a D. Thank you for any help.

6. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

Looked all over my room for one of these... didn't have that many, but this is a denver minted quarter from 1968 to present, it's next to his pony tail.

Still a good eye to question the abnormal! Keep searching!

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  7. wirelessworldin

Thank you for posting the picture. Is that a D or a Dot?

8. Scotto

Scotto I collect what I like

That would be a "D"

9. wirelessworldin

Thank you, what does a dot look like so I can compare

10. Scotto

Scotto I collect what I like

Enjoy your vacation and continue to keep a watchful eye on those coins.

11. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

any way you could post a picture of the quarter in question?

12. Jeannie

Jeannie New Member

Hello i was going thru my grandfathers war world 2 trunk with germany and he had 3 envokopes with old change in them he had a 1939 mercury dime in plastic and a 1905 indian arrowheas but he has 6 in plastic that give me a good vibe and. I have dreamt of him since a 1943 silver penny and a quarter 1978 d that has a estrange look and all the letters on front and back are hige they are mainly in liberty and united and a couple pennies from 1920s with kida black color writing and none of them stick to metal but the 1943 siver one does i would like to sell them if worth my time and can i am in alittle town called alvarado and have cancer and gotta move call me asap at [edited] thanks god bless u

@Jeannie -
    This is not the For Sale forum. See Rule 3A in the rules section. I edited the phone number from your post. We're happy to give information on your coins, but need to see pictures. You'll have better luck posting your own new thread ìnstead of responding to a 2006 thread that is more than twelve years old.

~Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
  13. Brian e Williamson

Brian e Williamson New Member

What if it is not a D because I have one too and it's not a D I've zoomed very close to it and it is not a D it's a spill dot a drip.

14. Catatonic1

Catatonic1 New Member

I have same, I've put it under Digital Microscope, used different loupes and there is no discernable D, perhaps the Intention was for a D, however it filled the D which now resembles a square.

Draft saved Draft deleted