1977 Lincoln with a strange 7

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Prospector, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Prospector

Prospector Member

Found these two today when searching through the " hoarded" 1959-1982 bag of mine.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It's either a form of damage that occurs immediately after the strike, known as machine doubling. OR, it is another form of damage due to unknown causes.

Some folks do not consider machine doubling damage but the die takes a normal detail and scrapes it up a little. In any case, that's what this is. I choose to remain in the camp that calls this damage.

Thanks,
    Bill

4. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

It's a damaged coin, something has hit or slid aganst the 7 and scooted the top have of it.

5. Prospector

Prospector Member

Can you tell me why it's just on one of the numbers? How can it effect one 7 and not the other numbers in the date?

6. bhp3rd

That's all that got hit, it's not IMO mechnical/machine doubling it just got caught under something or slid and was hit/scraped, very simple.
    Machine doubling can occur on only one element but if this strong on one device it should be on other areas in most cases.
    I've seen 10,000 coins like this to greater or lessor degrees.

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

As foundinrolls said "it is another form of damage due to unknown causes".

8. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Hello everyone,

I have a question, which i think i just answered...This coin has not been graded professionally, right, if so send it out, have it graded, see what they say?

Regards,
    Stan

9. bhp3rd

That would be a complete waist of time and money. There is not one reason on earth why one would do such a thing for this cent, it's a cent, worth a cent and throw it in the bank bag for return for one cent.
    Come on,,,

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Pay 30 bucks to get a 1 cent coin graded? No need for that. It's damage.

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree & only Anacs would not body bag it

12. Coinman1974

bph,

I am sorry if my suggestion was so inappropriate. However that being the case, tact goes along way with informing someone of not knowing something.

Regards,
    Stan

13. bhp3rd

Well it's okay to comment in your own opinion but to suggest grading for this coin is too far out on the best of days. It's not warrented in the furthest stretch of the imagination under any circumstances, that was the problem. It was not good advice is all.

Now do I lack tact, yes I do. Am I blunt, oh yes very much, will I ever change from that, not much so as you could tell.
    You get what you paid for. I really don't mean to be that way as much as it comes out sometimes at all and as for that I'm sorry.
    But you got to admit, love me or hate me I got a personality. Many on here are always kind and politically correct and oh so borrrrrrrring. I mean they act just like engineers and accountants for gods sake. A personality would scare them to death. You know to many variables, shades of grey - heck I love shades of grey, uncertainty, wonder and luck.
    "Id rather die with the sinners than pray with the saints, sinners are much more fun"!!!

Plus you'll never need to wonder what side I'm on, I make that pretty clear for you.

14. Coinman1974

It baffles me to no end when some one is shown a better way of communicating effectively and still doesn't. The only reason I stated anything at all, is the fact that you are knowledgeable, obviously, but your good adice maybe over shadowed due to your lack of tact. IMHO, that is just as bad as giving poor advice, if not worse.

One of the most humble of people, who was "PC" was none other the Robert E. Lee. He showed everyone due respect, even his enemies, and in the end, they came to admire him.

So is being so blunt really a positive or a negative?

Kind regards,
    Stan

15. Prospector

Prospector Member

it's cool, I have no intentions of getting it graded. I can't even bring myself to send off my 1971 Lincoln DDO for fear of parting with it and it getting " lost" let alone this coin, but I do plan on saving it in a flip and storing it with the other 1500 plus pennies I have collected.

it's not the destination, it's the journey.

Cease exploration and you are placed on a journey where you will always end up where you began, each time seeming new.

16. Coinman1974

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not if there's an afterlife. :)

18. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

It's Special

I like your thinking.

It's Special, kinnda like my delaminated quarter I keep in a flip away from my other collection because Janis Joplin sweat on it years ago.

I don't think getting it slapped would prove enough, but I keep it.

19. Prospector

Prospector Member

1971 ddo

Thanks, yeah that 1971 DDO was found when I was searching bank rolls.

I researched it and there is three varieties for DDO's that year.
    as far as I know this one is the most valuable and I'm hoping to get it graded soon because there is only like 30 registered in all grades the highest being MS65. I think this one is on the cusp of MS65/MS66 and with any luck it might come in at MS66 which would make it the only one registered that high of a grade.

I also found a 1980 DDO around the same time but it doesn't seem to make the top 50 most wanted list for DDO's, but valuable nonetheless. It too is in great condition.

Attached Files:

20. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

You avatar is sweet also but the question was for mytwocents.

21. Prospector

Prospector Member

LMAO... Mea Culpa! See what happens when I respond to a post before finishing my coffee?

Draft saved Draft deleted