1977 error quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kenny210, Mar 2, 2009.

1. kenny210

kenny210 New Member

i'm wondering if i have found a treasure? could some 1 please help me with info regarding weather or not its an error quarter?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Post all the info you have on it and a good pic. You will get an answer. Welcome to Cointalk!

4. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Well, we'd need a little more information to do that.

Why do you suspect it's an error? What appears to be wrong with the coin?

A picture would be nice.

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Welcome kenny210:hail: Post them pics.

6. kenny210

kenny210 New Member

the edge of the coin appears 2 be thicker at the bottom of coin compared 2 the top, and a picture of the coin is my avatar

7. kenny210

kenny210 New Member

avatar is picture of the coin that i think came out an error. any info would be great? thanks 2 any1 with info

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

kenny,

I cannot view your' Avatar as I have this feature turned off as it causes to much delay in the Threads and Posts to load!. From the description that you have proved, it sounds like you have a coin that was punched from uneven Planchet Stock.

Frank

9. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

I can't tell anything from your avitar photo. Could you post a several photos of the coin with a shot of the edge where it is thicker?

10. kenny211

kenny211 New Member

Pictures of the coin

here is a close up of the coin thanks 4 any info

Attached Files:

11. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Hi Kenny. I think I understand now. The edge of a coin is the outside edge where the reeding is. I think you are talking about the obverse being uncentered a little from top to bottom. If that is what you mean then this coin is within tolerance of a normal strike. The obverse and reverse dies can be adjusted by the press operator at the mint to be perfectly in line with each other and centered on the coin. The accepted tolerance is as long as the complete design is on the coin. When one of the dies is off centered enough to have some of the design missing (usually letters) then the coin becomes a misaligned die error or MAD. At this point the coin has some extra value. Does this answer your question?

Stevearino and tmeyer like this.
  12. Hi there. I have a similar quarter. I don't think it's the obverse as someone commented, instead. I think the quarter is thicker than its should be. At least that's the case with my quarter. Where your quarter let's do some comparison I'll try to attach a picture of mine

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, koko loco!

You do realize that this thread is more than 9 years old, don't you? It would be best if you started a new thread in the Error Coins forum, being sure to post good, clear images of the obverse, reverse and edge of the coin.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  14. I didn't realize the post was old. I'm totally new to the site, not all that computer savvy either. Thanks for the tip. I surely appreciate being led in the right direction. I'll give it a try if I find my quarter! Misplaced it at home, or maybe my son spent it?? :( Thanks again:)

Draft saved Draft deleted