1977 D penny - silver colored?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by hilonanni, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. hilonanni

    hilonanni New Member

    Hello, all. Please excuse my ignorant intrusion. I have a penny that I just adore because I've never seen nor heard of one until now. I am definately not implying that it is rare-only rare to me-the never collected a coin in her life me. To waste no more time-I think it is silver-it is in excellent condition(to my standards)-a Lincoln penny dated 1977-and it's a D. Anyone know what it is I've got and/or the value? Again-please forgive my ignorance on this subject. Thanks So Much-Hilonanni
     
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide this ad.
  3. pob374

    pob374 New Member

    Hi Hilonanni , Welcome. I never saw one like that, Can you post a photo or scan of the coin? Norm
     
  4. hilonanni

    hilonanni New Member

    ok-now I'm getting interested!

    Thanks so much for the reply. If I do this whole chat or discussion thing wrong-it's another first for me! For some reason I am unable to scan, send or basically do anything with pictures due to my account. Pitty. The coin, however, may not be silver. Is this possible? The coin has been touched but not more than 3 times and it seems that from those touches it has a slight color change that I know better than to wipe off. But, could it be made of something else? Thanks, Again-hilonanni
     
  5. GDJMSP

    GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

    Howdy hilonanni - Welcome to the Forum !!

    Based on your first post I thought we had another plated coin question here. There are lots, and lots of Lincoln cents that have been plated with silver or gold. There are even a few that have been plated with platinum.

    But then you when said that when the coin was touched and it changed color - that rings some warning bells. Whoever it was that touched it, and assuming it was recently, have them wash their hands very thoroughly and carefully.

    There have also been more than a few cents that were coated with mercury by somebody. And mercury can be quite harmful to your health.

    It sounds like that's what you might have.
     
  6. Ali Al-Hazen

    Ali Al-Hazen New Member

    As pennies are mostly metals other than copper after 1982, if you have a 1977-D cent zinc, you should hold onto it until you can determine its worth on the market. If it's a planchet defect from the mint, you will only profit from their mistake, as I have.
    Hang onto that coin until you can ascertain its true value on the market; there is a world of collectors searching for mistakes from the mint...
    ascertaining the value of the coin in question isn't quite so easy, but well worth your time.
    Welcome to the board with your questions, no one will try to steer you wrong here on this board.
    We will find out what we can and post it.
    PS****Can you post photos of the couin?
     
  7. satootoko

    satootoko Retired

    Welcome to the forum hilonanni.
    If you follow that advice to "hang onto" the coin, be sure and wear latex gloves, so you can follow GDJMSP's highly probable toxic metal warning!

    Mercury poisoning is nothing to joke about!
     
  8. Metalman

    Metalman New Member

    Does your cent look similar to this one ? The coin didnt photograph very well its is actually very shiny almost proof looking, but it is a silver plated cent, worth little more than a cent !!
     

    Attached Files:

  9. samsleezer

    samsleezer New Member

    Just found a 1977 d and saw this thread crazy chance to take.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. coinman1234

    coinman1234 Well-Known Member

    First I though it was plated, now I think it is coated with mercury. Be very careful with it if it is mercury, this is not the first mercury coated cent I have seen.
     
    paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

    paddyman98 Coincentrator Mind Supporter

    Why be careful with the mercury? Because it could be a health hazard?
     
    coinman1234 likes this.
  12. coinman1234

    coinman1234 Well-Known Member

    Yes, Mercury can cause serious problems if mishandled. I'm not 100% sure if that is mercury though. One reason I think it is Mercury is because it rubbed off when touched, normal plating usually does not do that
     
    paddyman98 likes this.
  13. samsleezer

    samsleezer New Member

    It does not rub off when touched and weighs less than it should. Dont know what it is but i will not risk my health for a penny.
     
    coinman1234 likes this.
  14. coinman1234

    coinman1234 Well-Known Member

    Looks like it could be plated with chrome too

    Here is a chome coated penny.
    [​IMG]
     
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page